Racing with Cragar ss wheels

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I am wondering is anyone running the unilug ss wheels with slicks or drag radials. I know it looks unsafe. just curious if there are options. I just found a set of 40 year old 15-4 ss wheels in there boxes never mounted and I am looking for some 15-8, for a period look. Thanks

joes if you look around hard enough you can find 15x8 in standard 4.5 bolt circle (not unilug)... BUT, for what it's worth I will be running the unilug 15x4.5 and 15x10s on my Valiant. I bought them from Ed Miller, he was going to run them on a HEMI Duster (a clone of his 1970 pro-stock car) and he wasn't worried about the unilug thing, so I'm not worried either... Anyone else have a "bad" experience from unilugs? From what I understand most of the issues with unilugs is from people running incorrect lugs or washers with them...

Yes, I figure if you pay attention to torque as you should with a race or any car you should be ok. I need open end lugnuts. I was going to use weld or something similar. I have thought about looking for older wheels but then theres the restoration cost. I will probably run the custom SS since I can get the backspace close. Thanks

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSpC2Nu-gE"]SS And AFX Landy In The 9's.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

crager ss's don't come in anything but "unilug" now...

and yes those are SS's

oops ...sorry...didn't notice you said 4" bolt circle

I don't believe they are illegal for strip use... I've never seen them cause that anyway. But... they use a thinner lug nut on the 4" bolt circle, and you will need an open ended nut with the same requirements for thread engagement. So you may need long studs, and to cut the end off the special lug nut.

..............I dont think u can run unilugs at the track, just something to ponder........kim.....

While that sounds like a good idea, I read the "general" section of the copy I have and could not find any mention of banning unilugs

As guarded as the NHRA rules are, for reasons that escape me, you can
!!! $$$ >>>DOWNLOAD<<<$$$ !!! them from the Bremerton Raceway site

http://www.bremertonraceway.com/2011 NHRA Rulebook.pdf

http://www.bremertonraceway.com/BREMERTON RACEWAY RULES.pdf

http://www.bremertonraceway.com/

I've run my 15-8 unilug cragers on 2.75 x 60 BFG drag radials over 100 times with no problems. I'm not super fast with my 318 four speed though. 13.7 and 1.97 60 foot is my best. Maybe I'm ingnorant or stupid, but I never gave it a thought about the unilugs. I was more concerned about spinning the extra weight and how much it might slow me down.

"crager ss's don't come in anything but "unilug" now..."

NOT TRUE.

I don't race my demon but bought brand new 14 x 6 and 15 x 8 Crager SS's last spring from my local tire distributor. Small bolt pattern and I know they come in all sizes. Special ordered mine and got them within 10 days.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 571
my 15x8 SS ...just ordered from Jegs are 5x4.5..NOT UNILUG...special order (non-stocking)..but NO x-tra charge

I will check that out. I have a set of never mounted in the box 15x4, 5x4.5 wheels. They are dated 1971. I would like to run them for that vintage look on my 68 Barracuda.

my 15x8 SS ...just ordered from Jegs are 5x4.5..NOT UNILUG...special order (non-stocking)..but NO x-tra charge

Really? Have you received them yet and are they actually direct fit 5x4.5" BP wheels ?

I have never heard of this option for the 4.5" BP since the unilug stye has been around, much less at no extra charge.

I am wondering is anyone running the unilug ss wheels with slicks or drag radials. I know it looks unsafe. just curious if there are options. I just found a set of 40 year old 15-4 ss wheels in there boxes never mounted and I am looking for some 15-8, for a period look. Thanks

If you found a virgin set of Cragar S/S skinnys with a 4" bolt pattern, they won't be unilug. You'll need a smaller shank lug. And if you haven't purchased them, hurry up, I've seen 15 x 3 1/2 used, with a 4.5 bp, fetch a grand.

Theres a misunderstanding I found a virgin set of 15x4 wheels with 5x4-1/2 cragar ss. these were bought by some old superstock racers at fremont dragstrip. Dated on box and wheels 1971. They chose to run the lighter super trick wheels.

-
Back