rack and pinion steering

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering and Chassis' started by justme, Aug 11, 2018.

1. justme

justme Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:24 PM
    Anyone ever convert to rack and pinion steering in an 66 Valiant ?

2. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    2:24 PM
    your turning radius will increase. What are you trying to accomplish, just removal of steering box for headers or something?
    you can do it in 2 ways, flip the spindles and run the rack at the front of the K (through it actually) or run the rack where the center link is but both seem to increase the turning radius. either way requires its own rack config, either over in back or under in front.

3. 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    Do a search, there are several old threads. Google "Ackerman angle." You screw that all up, if improperly done. It can I'm told make the car almost impossible to back up.

And actually you can make these handle pretty darn good with a conventional style box. WHY is it that you want to do this? Clearance? So called handling? other?

4. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    Oh, did I mention the Ackerman angle? :rolleyes: bumpsteer...?

5. brian6pac

brian6pac Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:24 PM
    I put a pinto rack in my 64 and had to flip the ball joints right to left so they sick out the front, cut and weld the steering arms to a further out angle to fix the toe out in turns and it still is not quite there and limit the upper arms so the suspension wont drop all the way down. The bump steer is 0 through the whole travel except all the way down then it toes in so I made adjustable stops. I was a pain but now I can get big race headers down in the chassis.

6. HemiDenny

HemiDenny HDK Suspension FABO Gold Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    4:24 PM
    HDK makes the whole set up....if you are gonna do it, (IMO) do not do the steering arm side to side flip, screws the geometry up so bad that driving or turning at speed is dangerous.

HDK 64 to 66 A Body K frame package