Rack and pinion

-
"You have got to tell me that you are joking" Line from the movie Rancho Deluxe

Browns.jpg

Went to their website. It is completely lacking in any photos of the system or even parts. Downloaded the destructions.........now drawings or photos..........Unbolt this unbolt that, bla bla

AJE Suspensions

http://ajesuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/fd81ad2b-b0c9-4cd3-8942-1cd9498eacc5.pdf

A/B & E Body Mopar Kit Installation
Remove stock suspension
Remove Bump stops for the upper and lower A
-
arms from frame rails.
To install shock support brackets. Align hole in top with original shock
location, and bolt in loosely with hardware supplied. Mark and drill (4) 3/8
holes through both sides of frame rail. Open opposing corners to ½ diameter
on outside of frame. Reverse o
n inside of frame. Install sleeves and bolt to
frame.
Bolt
-
in the new Rack and pinion to K
-
member using the bolts that come with
the kit.
Bolt AJE K
-
member into the car using stock bolts.
Install upper and lower A
-
arms using bolts and spacers with kit an
d reuse your
upper A
-
arm bolts.
Assemble the AJE steering arm to the ball joints on the lower A
-
arm then
install them on to stock spindle.
Repeat on other side.
Install Bump steer kit to rack. Start with .50 inch spacer on steering arm.
Move the spindle th
rough suspension travel to check bump steer. Adjust
spacers to correct the bump steer.
Center rack and pinion and steering wheel.
Using a saw, cut steering knuckle off as close to knuckle as possible.
Assemble new knuckle and shaft to rack and column. Trim
shaft if needed.
Drill minimum 5/16 hole through knuckle and steering column. Install at least a
grade 5 or grade 8 bolt through hole. Or shaft can be welded
Install springs and shocks. (Put two inches of pre load into springs. This
should be a close star
ting point for your ride height.) If front end is low use
adjuster to adjust ride height up, if too high a lighter spring is needed.
CALL AJE (800)877
-
7233 or (812)346
-
aje@frontier.com
www.ajeracing.com & www.ajesuspension.com

So it sounds like you need new steering arms which ??I guess?? bolt to the exiting ball joints after you ??saw off?? the steering arms?

Yeesh. I wouldnt try it. What have you got to gain? See GregDart's extensive thread on the Pinto rack in the Dart.
Home built rack and pinion+ coilover build.
He fabbed it from scratch but is only suitable for a drag car as there is no ackerman angles. I thought about the same thing putting a Neon rack (rear steer) where the center link is and just fabbing the rod ends so everything stays in place and running a clearanced pan. Never got off the drawing board when I saw the steering shaft angle and the 2 U-joints Id have to run.

Yeesh. I wouldnt try it. What have you got to gain? See GregDart's extensive thread on the Pinto rack in the Dart.
He fabbed it from scratch but is only suitable for a drag car as there is no ackerman angles. I thought about the same thing putting a Neon rack (rear steer) where the center link is and just fabbing the rod ends so everything stays in place and running a clearanced pan. Never got off the drawing board when I saw the steering shaft angle and the 2 U-joints Id have to run.

There is/ was actually a commercial outfit making a setup for "rear steer", and you are right........looked to me like the column joint angles were just silly!!1

That is real close to what I did on my 64, but first I made a oil pan that the linkage went through but still had problem with header clearance.

img411.jpg

-
Back