Rad and fan replacing

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
The small radiator of the Dart is almost scrap, and i am running a none-clutch fan without a shroud. So since I will have to replace the, I was wondering if something else would fit there (radiator width/clutch fan/shroud). Is there a model of car that had a rad close to the big A-body rad (26" I think)? Maybe the C-bodies with a small-block?
I would prefer something close to the 26", because I plan to have a more powerfull engine in the future, so I would prefer to buy parts only once?

A 26 inch radiator will physically fit in your dart, but you'll have to drill new mounting holes, and the opening in the core support is only for a 22 inch radiator. So to optimally use that bigger radiator, you'll have to cut the core support for the bigger radiator. It's not that big of a deal, unless keeping it original means anything to you. I put a 26 incher in my duster (it has a stroked 383 (431). I used a fan shroud but haven't yet found a clutch fan that would fit between the water pump and radiator. My car runs cool, it warms up a little in stopped traffic on very hot days 90 plus, so I am happy with its performance. An aluminum radiator would be more efficient ( or so i'm told) so that's another way to go too. But remember, chrysler even put 22 inch radiators in some b body 440 six packs. So you can get a 22 to handle alot of heat. A fan shroud is mandatory with ANY radiator and a clutch fan is free horsepower.

don

Instead of starting another topic, I figure this is a good place for my questions.

The 1973 Dart Sport we're fixing up has a 19" radiator. I think maybe it's a replacement radiator. I has only the number 20446 and a Pentastar on it. Is this a basic Chrysler replacement rad or what? It has a hole at the top where some smog control device is installed, but not hooked up.

The car is a 318 2 barrel, no A/C. What would the correct radiator be for this car? Shouldn't it have a 22" radiator?

My Galen Govier white book shows either a 19" or 26" rad as being correct, but only shows a 22" rad for a 225 slant six motor, not the 318. This seems screwed up to me! How do I know what it should have or what number it should have?

The core support is the piece of metal that the radiator bolts to. It is essentially the front of the engine compartment. It goes from inner fender to inner fender.

don

65s said:
Instead of starting another topic, I figure this is a good place for my questions.

The 1973 Dart Sport we're fixing up has a 19" radiator. I think maybe it's a replacement radiator. I has only the number 20446 and a Pentastar on it. Is this a basic Chrysler replacement rad or what? It has a hole at the top where some smog control device is installed, but not hooked up.

The car is a 318 2 barrel, no A/C. What would the correct radiator be for this car? Shouldn't it have a 22" radiator?

My Galen Govier white book shows either a 19" or 26" rad as being correct, but only shows a 22" rad for a 225 slant six motor, not the 318. This seems screwed up to me! How do I know what it should have or what number it should have?

I just saw this Neil,
the 73 Valiant i bought for parts had a 19 inch radiator,
with fan shroud, no clutch fan,no a/c;
It had the vacum hose attachment for pollution crapp on the
top of the radiator too,it sensed the temp of the coolant.

My 64 V8 Valiant came with a 19 inch radiator.

Galens books are not 100% perfect.more like 98%.

For a diff radiator;
Look at 1972; 22 inch radaitor 3574658 {318/340 cid}

-
Back