Rad help with 67 dart .

-

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I think I'm burning myself out looking for a radiator for my 67 dart, originally a 225 ,will be 440. I'm reading so much it's making my head spin. Champion lists a 2 core that's 22" and they show a 26" , I dont mind cutting some if it works better,they dont show a 3 core, do I need a 3 core? Do I need cross flow or whatever its called? I would like electric fans . Anyone have a similar car that can point me in the right direction?

If you had a 6 cylinder in the car originally and don't want to modify or swap out your radiator support, you need to use the 22" radiator. That will fit right in. However, a 22" radiator to cool a 440 is going to require a pretty big 22" radiator. The 22" 2 core champion will very likely not be enough capacity for your 440 but that doesn't mean you have to go to a 26" radiator. You can just use a thicker core 22" radiator. You can use a 3 core OEM radiator and it will probably do a little better than that Champion 2 row but I would suggest spending a little more money and getting a thicker 2 row radiator which will do a much better job than either of the above two options.

A lot of guys will argue that the 3 row OEM will get the job done and I don't dispute that in theory it could. The problem is that if you buy a 3 row OEM or aluminum for that matter, and you still run hot, then what? So imo you want a LARGE 2 row. Dual 1", dual 1 1/8" or dual 1 1/4". Champion makes an 'American Eagle' line that has dual 1". Others have used Be Cool, Griffin, ECP, Cold Case and many others successfully. Do it once and be confident you've put the maximum cooling radiator in your vehicle.

If you want a Forum member price for one of our Cold Case units, shoot me a PM.

I bought a 22" Smiths radiator for my duster, has 3" tanks and two 1.5" rows. Was not cheap, but you buy cheap you get cheap. Spend the money once buy a good rad, shroud and fan. Run at least a 185 thermostat. I have a 525 HP Big block in my duster, i am running 200 on a hot day.

Factory 440 Darts had 22" brass radiators with 3 cores of 1/2" tubes, most other Mopar radiators used 3/8" tubes. Aluminum radiators do not cool as well, so the 3 core with the largest tubes you can get would be the best.

I had a friend cut and widen my tanks and converted my stock 67 copper and brass to a 4 core high efficiency. Pretty sure 22”. Still copper and brass of course. I had him do one for my dakota also. Both cost me about 500$, and I haven’t run the one for the Barracuda yet. But I told him I wanted the best cooling rad he could build me within the stock confines.

This was before
B527B6BC-DF2B-4139-9AC8-CB92146FA8D4.jpeg

there's a few guys on here running big blocks with 22' cores that have most of this worked out.

go search grasshopper...

Griffin do a nice pressed tank and up to 80mm core in 22".
Uscartool do a front rad support for 26".

If it was an original /6 car I'd use the 26 inch radiator and cut the core support. Then I'd look at a radiator with two cores and the biggest tubes you can afford.

Then buy a quality high flow water pump and a quality high flow thermostat. And the last piece of the puzzle is turning the water pump the correct speed. No SLOWER than 1:1 and turning the water pump faster than the crank is better. If you do all that, then the fan you chose won't be nearly as big a problem. I prefer a mechanical fan. Once you are moving at a reasonable jogging speed the fan is just in the way for the most part.

If it was an original /6 car I'd use the 26 inch radiator and cut the core support. Then I'd look at a radiator with two cores and the biggest tubes you can afford.

Then buy a quality high flow water pump and a quality high flow thermostat. And the last piece of the puzzle is turning the water pump the correct speed. No SLOWER than 1:1 and turning the water pump faster than the crank is better. If you do all that, then the fan you chose won't be nearly as big a problem. I prefer a mechanical fan. Once you are moving at a reasonable jogging speed the fan is just in the way for the most part.

I gotta go with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, had to prove it to myself !
I got all kinds of fans for sale !!

Factory 440 Darts had 22" brass radiators with 3 cores of 1/2" tubes, most other Mopar radiators used 3/8" tubes. Aluminum radiators do not cool as well, so the 3 core with the largest tubes you can get would be the best.
How do you figure? 3 x 1/2" = 1.5" of cooling tubes. 2 x 1 1/4" tubes = 2.25" or 40% more volume and surface area for the air to pass over and cool the fluids.

I agree on everything except you kind of glanced over how the 26" radiator doesn't fit. ;) Modifying that radiator support to accept a 26" radiator and also take advantage of all 26" of core air flow is a decent amount of fabrication work.

I agree on everything except you kind of glanced over how the 26" radiator doesn't fit. ;) Modifying that radiator support to accept a 26" radiator and also take advantage of all 26" of core air flow is a decent amount of fabrication work.

True. But I got my *** reamed for bitching about drilling some holes in my core support that I didn't want to drill.

If you are fairly handy, you can install the 26 inch radiator in a 22 inch core support.

True. But I got my *** reamed for bitching about drilling some holes in my core support that I didn't want to drill.

If you are fairly handy, you can install the 26 inch radiator in a 22 inch core support.
lol! you gotta be careful around here! ;)

I agree it can be done, but imo to do it right, you want to not only have it be able to mount to the core support but you want a 26" opening in the support so that you are pulling outside air through all of the radiator. If 3 or 4" of the radiator is blocked by the 22" support structure, you are defeating 1/2 the reason for going to the 26" radiator.

Anyway, if we go back to the topic starter's dilemma, I still say a BIG 22" radiator will get the job done and avoid the trouble of hacking up your core support.

I think I'm burning myself out looking for a radiator for my 67 dart, originally a 225 ,will be 440. I'm reading so much it's making my head spin. Champion lists a 2 core that's 22" and they show a 26" , I dont mind cutting some if it works better,they dont show a 3 core, do I need a 3 core? Do I need cross flow or whatever its called? I would like electric fans . Anyone have a similar car that can point me in the right direction?

I was at the Syracuse Nationals this past weekend and I was looking at the Cold Case radiators. They use 1 1/4 tubes. Very well built here in the US ( Pennsylvania ) You might want to check into them, very good price for a top quality radiator. I plan on ordering one today for my 340 Dart.

-
Back