Rad Leak

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Bought a 22" restored rad from a member here that was suppose to be brand new. Still have a hang tag showing mopar number and size. I installed it and filled it with fluids and sat for 3 days and was ok. Got engine all hooked up and started it and ran for 20 minutes. Next day I noticed a 1" diameter puddle on floor and looked at rad ....the lower rad support also had antifreeze sitting in it. Let the car sit while doing the dash and interior wiring and it did not leak over the last 2 months and when i started it again ...sure enough ...a tiny puddle on floor. I'm guessing it only leaks under pressure and maybe only about an 1/8 glass full of fluid ...mind you i only ran it for 20 min. again. Looks like it was wet on interior side right in front of the clutch fan. Is there any quick fix or should I be looking at taking it out and off to the rad shop in the city.

GM cooling system tabs, every GM dealer stocks them, they are for any motor with aluminum heads, intake, block, plastic intake. We put them in every thing and they work great best I have ever used.
Crush them into a powder put them in the rad and drive it for 15 - 20 min and you wont have a leak.

Using iron x heads ... why are they only for alum. heads. I did not want to put anything in their that might
damage or plug up the new stroker engine

Don't put any radiator sealant in there.

Check closely for leaks. I've had radiator hose clamps that I could have sworn were on there tight but they did leak, very slightly. Check those clamps. Try loosening and rotating them and re-tightening them.

If the leak is still there pull the rad and have a shop test it

Using iron x heads ... why are they only for alum. heads. I did not want to put anything in their that might

Alumaseal. (Yep that's a period at the end :D)
Best and safest stuff there is for small leaks IMO.

dccb4eec-88ad-459a-930d-bc67bd72bbf0_1_8e4d93673633d38bf693d3c89c96ef34.jpg

Don't put any radiator sealant in there.

Check closely for leaks. I've had radiator hose clamps that I could have sworn were on there tight but they did leak, very slightly. Check those clamps. Try loosening and rotating them and re-tightening them.

If the leak is still there pull the rad and have a shop test it

He said it's on the inside right in front of the clutch fan.
That's a core runner leak.

There not just for aluminum but Cadillac started using them in the 80's with the 4.5, 4.9 engines, aluminum blocks and cast iron heads. I wont plug up anything, I worked for Cadillac from 1998 till 2008 and it's in the owners manual and on a sticker under the hood on all Cadillac's even the Escalade.
If it was bad they wouldn't use it.

Use your pressure tester and pump it up to 15psi cold. It will show where the leak is.

Last edited:
-
Back