Radiator and fan clearance stock 66 Dart GT with 225

Slant 6 Engines

1. Jayman62

Jayman62 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:41 AM
    Hello All, I have replaced my broke and leaking radiator with a Champion C6566 aluminum radiator. Apparently the two and three row radiators are supposed to fit without modification. Well, the 3 row doesn't because of the fan clearance, not sure the two would either. The one I purchased is the 3 row.

Is the spacer required for the fan, with the spacer removed I probably have enough room. Or perhaps I can use a different style fan? I'd like to stay away from electric fans. I have a 66 Dart Gt with a 225.

Thank you

2. RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Look very closely at your radiator support. I bet it's pushed in toward the center. Mine was. I measured from where the support meets the inner fender on both sides to the firewall. Got the same measurement. Measured from the center to the firewall. Almost 1" less. I think it was like that right out of the gate, because although my front bumper and valance are damaged, the grill is perfect. I got a port a power and pushed the support out about 1" and that gave me a lot more room I run a 3 row aluminum radiator and now have a decent amount of room and before I could barely get the radiator out.

3. Jayman62

Local Time:
    Thank you for the reply: I'll take a closer look, maybe the support is damaged, there is indication on the original radiator of it hitting the fan so maybe there was front end damage at one time, good suggestion. If not though do I need the spacer, I'm guessing it's about 1.5 inches or more?

4. RustyRatRod

Local Time:
    I'm not certain without seeing it in person if the spacer is needed or not.

5. Jayman62

Local Time:
    Understood, I meant in general is a spacer required or can the fan be attached without a spacer of any sort.

Jay

6. RustyRatRod

Local Time:
    The only reason it would be required is if the fan hit some of the other engine components without it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • halfafish

halfafish Damn those rabbits, and their holes! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      9:41 PM
      Here's my 66 Valiant with a Champion 3-core. The stock fan clears OK but you need some nimble fingers to start the bolts that hold the fan on.

20160908_215825.jpg

20160908_215825.jpg

• RustyRatRod

Local Time:
      I snatch the radiator to pull the fan and reinstall the fan with the radiator out. 10 minute job to snatch the radiator.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jayman62

Local Time:
        Yeah, I was thinking about how I was going to get the bolts in, I have the fan off now to get the rad in and wanted to research things before trying to install the fan. I also have power steering so I hope that doesn't factor into things. Just goes to show how every nuance of these old cars will drive you nuts!

• RustyRatRod

Local Time:
        Put the radiator in last.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • circlepilot

circlepilot FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          11:41 PM
          I installed the same type radiator, however it was not for my 65 Barracuda, but for a 66 Dart. At the time Champion didn't have one for my car. I modified the passenger side of the radiator mount by adding an addition. The lower hose incorporates a "universal" cut to size hose. This was due to the location of the lower outlet not being in the same place as the OEM location. It worked fine. The fan has about 1" clearance. I drove the car for about a month before I started the restoration. No overheating at all. IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG

• flingdingo

flingdingo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          9:41 PM
          On my '64, the fan does need a spacer (at least 1 inch if I remember correctly) or it hits the balancer. I had some fitment issues when I installed my Champion radiator also.

I did a thread about it if you want to take a look, though I'm sure there are some differences between my '64 and your '66.

Also, like RRR said, slide the rad in last. It's impossible for me to install my fan with the radiator in.

• Jayman62

Local Time:
          Well I tried to fit the radiator today and there's no way it will fit. I did purchase the correct radiator, the hose inlets and mounting plate (although off mounting holes) line up but it sit way too forward the fan will not fit on with or without the spacer. So back it goes. Anyone have a resource for a new radiator that will fit, local shops do not want to do re-core of my old rad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.