Radiator dimensions abody vs bbody

-

4mopwr

Reaction score
Will a bbody raidatior fit in an abody(height wise) specifically a68 barracuda?
What are the measurements of the two radiators? From the bottom of the lower tank to the top of the upper tank.

Thanks,
John.

Not the answer to your question i know.... but if it helps, I've run 26" wide from a '71 C-body in my '69 Dart for eons, and i know many different units would also bolt up. I did'nt think there was much if any height variation between A,B or C.

I have a 2898047 rad ('68 b-body) in my '69. A little tight on the lower driver side hose.

I had a 60s b body radiator in my 69 cuda. Seemed to be a little taller, but fit ok.

The measurement sent to me from a builder states 21 15/16" top of tank.
I seen another builder state 21 1/4, sounds like splitting hairs but if you can't close the hood.....not a good day! Lol.

I have had several 68 318 b-body radiators (2898038) in 67-69 A-Bodies. They are taller so you need to use a flat radiator cap, and drill new holes in the core support to bolt the radiator in, but it does work.

I put a 76-80 F body, same as the B of those years in my 63 Valiant
Had to trim some of the mounting flange on the battery box side.
Like HemiSSDart states,had to drill new holes for the flange,but only on one side.

Thanks all, based on replies a bbody radiator will fit if the measurements don't exceed 21 15/16 ( height of b radiator?)

I put a 76-80 F body, same as the B of those years in my 63 Valiant
Had to trim some of the mounting flange on the battery box side.
Like HemiSSDart states,had to drill new holes for the flange,but only on one side.
I saw this thread and wanted clarity on the early A fitment for a 65 b body radiator. I have a chance to buy a 4 core b-body radiator part no. 18398 that was redone and never used. I have a 65’ barracuda. Looked everywhere for what I’m asking. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Check the height of both radiators,If the B is taller,check rad support opening to see if you have clearance to lower the rad for hood clearance.Also make sure the lower rad hose is on the correct side to match your water pump.
Question, V8 or 6 ?

Last edited:
Make sure u have room to run a fan 4 cores are pretty thick. Kim
I don’t have a radiator to reference unfortunately. I’m going to run a magnum 5.9. Old Kimmer brings up a good point on the thickness. I think magnums eat more room in the front of the engine because of the factory fan or maybe the water pump.

-
Back