Radiator leak at cap

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Summit cross flow radiator which is stamped as a Northern radiator. I have had this for several years. Since I bought this most of the caps I tried leaked right between the cap and rad neck. I did have a NAPA cap that seemed to work but not any more. What could be causing this problem? It didn't do it with the stock radiator until I put this one in.

Fred B

Some rads the neck seal is deeper down, you may have wrong cap?

What cap would I need?

I have no idea I did not manufacture that radiator. The other possibility is that the neck/ seat could be damaged/ crooked/ whatever, and would not seal, correct cap or no

use the top gasket from one of the other caps and double up the top gasket. if you can't get on off try a thin piece of rubber and make one

Called Northern and I need a cap with a neck seal deeper down. Ordered the correct cap. Thanks for the reply's. You guys rock!

Fred B

I have a Summit cross flow radiator which is stamped as a Northern radiator. I have had this for several years. Since I bought this most of the caps I tried leaked right between the cap and rad neck. I did have a NAPA cap that seemed to work but not any more. What could be causing this problem? It didn't do it with the stock radiator until I put this one in.

Fred B

Same here , finally made a shim ,out of a plastic lid (two actually , made it the same size as the inner cap ,with close to size inner hole as possible , cut at a hard angle and screwed it under the original cap gasket , first time in 10ish yrS my recovery system has worked !
I made one for under the blow off gasket , and 2 for the rad seal gasket . Only problem is getting the size figured out .----TRY IT !

lots of the universal stuff nowadays seems to be made to GM spec (70% of the US performance market) with other guys mounting holes. Probably a GM cap is called out. My Edelbrock Pro-flow EFI for Mopar LA uses all GM sensors......great if I needed another sensor as its Autozone close.

-
Back