Radiator leak sealer barrs etc. damage.

Heating / Cooling / AC

1. seabee

seabee FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:42 PM
    Hi All,
    So after pulling my heads off of my 273 I noticed that many of my coolant passages were almost completely sealed and the inside of the block looked a bright orange which I determined was just rust. It looked like some of the passages were welded shut which I thought was really strange. when I ran some steel Wool over the "welds" they crumbled away and revealed the coolant passage.

Is this due to the previous owner dumping Cooper-Seal/Barrs Leaks stuff? The blockages looked like solid metal.

Notice how the forward and rear cylinder have entirely plugged passages?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,

Bill

2. autoxcuda

autoxcuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    That's rust. Not enough anti-rust or anti-freeze added to the system.

3. Aj408

Aj408 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I just happen to work at a "auto parts" store which I will not name. A lot of the customers buy the "Bars" stop leak and ask how it works and I tell them its made to stop a leak and that's about as far as I get into it with them. I tell them the best solution is to just fix the problem correctly, (replace whatever is leaking). I have had a friend use it and it created a sludge in the radiator. From the looks of what you have there I would guess that multiple stop leaks were used in system. Just my .02

Aj

4. magnumdart

magnumdart There is a bad moon on the rise.

Local Time:
    11:42 PM
    It just looks like a whole lot of different contaminants that built up. Like rust, salts, dirt, rubber, use of hard water, lack of flushing, and of course age.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.