radiator/water pump question

-

CoyoteDuster1970

Reaction score
I have a radiator that the outlet is on the drivers side. Im doing a 5.9 magnum swap in my 1972 Scamp and plan to run the v belt system so besides a 68/69 timing cover and driver outlet water pump, Will running this way interfere with anything such as power steering?

You're fine as long as you run the '69 and earlier PS pump and mounts, and the early accessory drives, brackets and pullies so everything lines up.

i only have power steering would i just need the 69 and earlier p/s bracket or does that affect alt bracket as well.... sorry if this is a dumb question kinda new to this type of stuff

'70 and newer water pumps have a longer nose, so the pulley has a deeper offset and can't be used on the early pumps as that would throw off your alignments. Also the later PS pump bracket is not designed to clear a driver's side water pump inlet.
It's best to use the entire front (PS pump & brackets, crank and WP pullies, alt. brackets, timing cover & water pump) off of the same year engine. Early crank pullies will need one mount hole elongated to fit later (LA and Magnum) balancers.
When you start trying to mix & match components you open up a whole new can of worms.

If you've got the entire front end drives and timing cover for a '72, it would probably be cheaper and easier to just get a compatible radiator.

I believe that your balancer will be different too. Or, remark your old one.

The nose on the aluminum pump is 3/4" longer. Could be a potential problem with fan clutch to radiator clearance.

I went thru this in reverse on my 1965 Dart 273. Like you, the radiator and water pumps were confusing and I was a neophyte then trying to source parts at Autozone. I got a later radiator (actually for a slant-six I think) and the later aluminum water pump. That made accessories a mess. The radiator fan moves out 1", so hard to clear the radiator and no way to fit a clutch-fan. I had to change to the later Federal power steering pump (no TRW brackets) and get creative with the belts. Keeping everything on the front as 1972 will be easiest.

-
Back