Radio am to fm conversion

-

ike61

Reaction score
Why is it so expensive? I would like to get a radio done, but $400 is ridiculous. I honestly dont get it

Why is it so expensive? I would like to get a radio done, but $400 is ridiculous. I honestly dont get it
I disagree. You are talking about completely replacing the guts of a radio while still keeping it looking "fairly original" without hurting any of the 50 year old hardware

I disagree. You are talking about completely replacing the guts of a radio while still keeping it looking "fairly original" without hurting any of the 50 year old hardware
Thats what im saying. The guts get replaced. I would think the delicate parts are what gets replaced. there must be more to it than i think

I paid big money for a radio the looks exactly like the original thumbwheel Mopar but is suppose to be "modern" I have to say its basically junk....Looks great but thats about it. The original is going back in at some point

I used to try to keep things original on my restorations until I got my 51 GMC. It had been a parts truck for a restoration and I got it from a body shop for $250. It was destined for the scrap heap so I decided to have fun with it and made it into a resto-mod. Ever since that, I figure museums can keep an original copy but I'm going to do what I want with my builds which has been liberating. That said, I put a Pioneer with SmartSync in my Demon. It syncs to my iphone and I am able to play siriusXM or spotify or whatever via bluetooth from my phone which clips onto the radio and acts as a digital display. It also allowed me to delete the antenna. It is the same size as the original radio but did require cutting the dash as it does not mount by the knobs but rather the DIN case.

Leave the orig radio for "show n tell" in the dash. Put a hidden system in.
Remember what the oem ones were rated at??? Ya 2 watts...we sent our am/FM out and regret spending(more than $400) on it.

I bought a marine guage pod radio. Round and almost the same diameter as the tachometer I have. Installed them with the gauges in a small console I built under the dash.

Might consider having a blue tooth adapted to it, or maybe an AUX input? Opens up the world of music that YOU control. Apple ITunes, Spotify, not to mention many free services like Accuradio, among others and you can stream most FM radio stations in the nation

Last edited:
I converted my old thumb wheel to Am Fm Bluetooth and 4 channel speakers and it all looks 99% stock. Does it sound like one of my new cars, no, still playing with sound deadening though. It most probably will never sound like the sound system in my living room, but basically, it does what I would like it to do. Maybe the cars with the loud mufflers are the problem? Price wise, a little more than I expected, but not bad. It was pre-wired, except for the speaker ends, all color coded, radio plugged back into the old harness for power. Yeah, go ahead and pick your poison.

Radio delete baby!

IMG_1967 (2).JPG

Look up “Bluetooth amplifier “ on Amazon. They are about $30. Mount anywhere, hook up power & wire up your speakers. Turn the vol all the way up & control it from your phone.

-
Back