• No Radio

Votes: 35 19.9%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 21 11.9%

• Total voters
-

RPMLegends18

Reaction score
Just wanting to do a poll on what you guys think. I have a (now) 72 Dart Swinger, I have had a radio in and out of the thing. When I got the car it had the factory AM radio but it didnt work. So I installed an aftermarket Pioneer head unit, speakers, and I built a box to install an amp and sub. I was driving my friends car and I somehow broke their deck. So I took mine out, rewired behind the dash (the install place hacked everything up bad) and installed my deck. So I drove it like that for sometime before buying a new deck. Then when the 360 spun a bearing and I wasnt driving it I took it all out and installed everything in my girlfriends car. It sounds alot better because you can actually hear the music over the car. But I am to the point of building my own dash, and I just dont know if I should put on back in it or not. And if not I think there would be alot of space on the dash that didnt have anything there. There is no heater or A/C so all the controls have been removed as well. But I love listening to the exhaust. And I figure if I dont have a radio then I dont really need to install a bunch of sound deadening stuff so I can actually hear it. What do you think?

i was not planning on a radio in my car, at least when i get that far some year. was talking to the boss, the wife, and was told otherwise.....

Gotta have tunes bro.
Even if you only turn it on while you're parked, or wiping the car down, ya gotta have something. Don't go crazy with amps and all that stuff, just a basic am/fm cassette or CD.

George

No radio is no problem when you've got a healthy Mopar to listen to, but I would not skip the sound deadener/insulation. Helps keep the cockpit cool.

x2 about the sound deadener, I found this radio at Crutchfiled and like how it looks like an old style am/fm. Plan on getting it if the boss will let me.

p113MP642U-f_mt.jpg

even though my 65 Dart wagon was a radio delete car, the boss said there's got to be a radio for those long trips to the Nationals.

took me a while to find a good working old style 2 post am/fm tape deck for my barracuda but it was worth it! didnt have to modify the dash so I can put it back to stock if I want

even if it's a simple set up I would recommend a radio. I put 2 6x9 under the package tray so you can't see them in the Newport and on longer trips it's nice to have. I also got a cheapo head unit that allows you to plug in the i pod and love being able to pick the vintage music to cruise to.

Got the factory am radio but very seldom turn it on.Would rather listen to my car,but times when I park it and it's not running,I have it tuned to a station that plays the oldies and it sounds neat.8)

I personally love tunes so I would Dynamat the whole car and put a nice system in it. The dynamat will keep the interior cooler and reduce the road noise considerably. you won't be dissapointed. Good luck on your project.

Well thanks for all the replies and polls. I do like all the points you all have made. And I will probably look into a little cheaper setup than I had before. And do a little better job concealing everything. I like the ipod feature as well, the deck I installed in my boss' car had that. Its nice to not have to listen to commercials. Wondering if I want to hide it away under the seat, or in the glove box or just mount the thing in the dash. Its already been cut what the hell

I said no radio... but I'm also obsessed with nostalgia drag cars and none of my musclecars will have a radio... or heat... or....

Must have a radio for cruisin'.

I built a box with dual 6x9s and a 10" JL sub with a Kenwood 1200w amp. Head unit is a cheapo Panasonic but will get replaced with a good Kenwood when I get back to the interior stuff.

mine too hemizach, I took the heater and AC out. Although I have to bundle up for warmth when I drive in the morning or at night. But its alright with me

Got the factory am radio but very seldom turn it on.Would rather listen to my car,but times when I park it and it's not running,I have it tuned to a station that plays the oldies and it sounds neat.8)

Ditto, even if the car has a radio now I find my self turning it and everything else off and opening a window!!8)
Love the sounds of my cars + if something is getting ready to go you can usually get a warning if you can hear the car over the radio!!
But I do lie the oldies in the 64!!!

do you have any pics of your setup superdart? I would like to get an idea of it. I had 6x9s on the package tray and two (I wanna say 6") in the door panels. And the box with the 12" sub in the trunk, I didnt like the look of the setup.

No radio for me. Or heater or A/C or P/B or P/S or sound deadener or head rests or horns or.............

No radio for me. Or heater or A/C or P/B or P/S or sound deadener or head rests or horns or.............

Lol you just described my car. Although I did put in a quicker ratio worm gear in the steering box

Your car is so badass Keith everytime I see it I I think that is so sweet. I love the look of it. And the engine compartment, and the interior. Very nice

i personally dont like the look of a new radio in a classic. i usually leave the stock one in place and hide a new one. either in the glove box or somewhere else. thats what i did in my scamp. then i mounted two of the nicest 6 x 9's under the package tray and then drilled hundreds of holes in the cover to make it look factory. it sounded good and looked stock.

That does look very nice and factory. Did you make the glove box compartment yourself? It looks real professional. Mine was all busted up

-
Back