Raise rear end with extra leafs??

-

Optik

Reaction score
I want to get the rear end of my 64 Dart up a couple inches for tire clearance and attitude but cannot afford SS springs at the moment. I do have an extra set of used stock springs, can I add a lead or two to the set already on the car and will this raise the rear any or just cause problems? Car has an A-body 8 3/4 under it now with air shocks to keep it up. Running 245/60/14 tires on 14x8 rims with unknown b/s. If the wheels had another 1/2" - 3/4" of b/s they would fit in the wheel well but changing rims is not an option, plus they are vintage SBP slot mags so I want to keep them. Also I like the 70's / 80's look of the jacked up rear. I considered lift shackles also but don't really want to go there either.
Thanks!
-Tim

you might also be able to swap the leaf spring front mount to raise the car a little, lawrence

...........from ur donor leafs cut off the main 1 about an inch from the ends put it under ur main leaf, find 1 more donor leaf that is just longer than another leaf on ur car install on top of it.....the idea is not too have 2 leafs the same legnth.........kim.....

...........from ur donor leafs cut off the main 1 about an inch from the ends put it under ur main leaf, find 1 more donor leaf that is just longer than another leaf on ur car install on top of it.....the idea is not too have 2 leafs the same legnth.........kim.....

X2... I have done this on other rigs go get the ride height I wanted.... will change the ride a bit but will also raise it like you want. All it takes is some time!

My car (because I'm poor!!) is all used leafs

I junked out a Duster and Demon to get disc and other parts, and saved the springs.

I tore down my originals, as well as one set of Duster/ Demon, and did this:

I did not use the main leaf out of the second set (with the eye) but rather just used the longest leafs from both sets, IE the normal "second" leaf there are now TWO and so on, and as I recall, ended up with one more leaf added, compared to original. I have not got the new front end under, but the rear is nice and stiff, no long shackles, no air shocks, leafs only There 'tis:

These are what I jokingly call the "interim" wheels. Got them and the tires cheap 15" Cherokee, 225/75 x 15

I got new spring clips locally from the spring shop in Spokane, Pohl Spring. Don't remember, I think I bought the U bolts from a member here.

15n7g39.jpg

I actually did this on my 66 by using the original main leaf, and the other leafs I got from a used set of springs from a 340 Duster. It yielded one extra leaf on each side, and I was able to use my main leaf as I was under the assumption that the Duster leaf's were an inch or so longer and may not fit under an early A. This was some time ago, and having never driven the car before this swap, I can't attest to the ride difference, I just know it sits right and feels good!! Geof

-
Back