Ransome Ware?

-
The answer going forward is to keep all of your software updated (constantly!), use a good anti-virus software program, and not follow any links you get via email, text etc unless you REALLY inspect everything very well. Some stuff like that “looks shady”, but a lot of it looks really good now. So if I get an email from a company I do business with I usually don’t follow the link in the email, I go to the website separately and then my account. That helps avoid phishing scams, they’re out there for pretty much all major businesses. Same with websites. Set your browser not to accept cookies, turn on pop-up blocking, and be wary of any website that uses redirects.

If you’re not computer savvy it’s probably worth it to take it to a computer repair business, especially if you have important data on there (tax or business info, etc). A new computer shouldn’t be needed, unless your current computer is too out of date to keep updated on its software.

I don't know how you clean that crap. I do use Linux, but not an expert in cleaning up Whendoze stuff. But I WOULD look into creating what is known as a "linux live" cd or USB, you can boot your puter from that and windows will not be active. Your hard drive will then act just like a storage drive. The thing is, most all viruses targeted to windows simply won't do anything in Linux

However, this DOES NOT MEAN that if you can move your "stuff" to another storage, that as soon as you access it again in a new windows install, it won't start all over again.

Yes, they want payment, but they won’t get it, I’ll buy a new 1 b4 I pay them. My son in law is pretty good with computers, he has ran a few scans and found and cleaned a bunch of stuff, I don’t really understand the tecky stuff but hopefully it will work. Kim

Have you tried to download a copy of malwarebites and/or cccleaner???

Go to Cnet and try...

I've had those warnings about my files being encrypted over a dozen times.

Each time I simply shut down the computer.

I've never had any actual damage.

What ever you do, NEVER click on ANYTHING on the screen with the warnings.

If you are unsure, simply hold down your physical power button until the machine shuts off. Most newer systems can easily tolerate an "improper" shutdown.

These sophisticated hacks are un breakable, pay up or **** can the hard drive and your data. In a nut shell. IF it is a real attack. ****, even the FBI paid up!

I've had those warnings about my files being encrypted over a dozen times.

Each time I simply shut down the computer.

I've never had any actual damage.

What ever you do, NEVER click on ANYTHING on the screen with the warnings.

If you are unsure, simply hold down your physical power button until the machine shuts off. Most newer systems can easily tolerate an "improper" shutdown.

Or alt-control-delete and then close out the program that is causing problems...

I’ve been hit with em a couple times. The one that just locks your computer and you can’t do ****.
Both times I just held down the power button till it shut off and then powered back up in safe mode. Then did a system restore to an earlier date. Worked fine both times.

Sometimes you can boot up in safe mode with networking which/SHOULD only run the programs essential to PC. Then go to MS and run the scanware tool they provide. Never had my stuff locked up like that, but did get hammered bad by a drive by. Buddy of mine had that happen to him, he is PC illiterate completely. He wanted me to talk to him over the phone how to fix..... LOL Do I tell you how that worked out??? But I won't hijack.

-
Back