Rare 1967 Mr. Norm's 383 4 speed dart

-
Post up dates of the first BB A-body's built by Chrysler and some dates on when Mr Norm built his first BB A

I've seen an interview with a Chrysler exec and read a few articles that said it was Mr Norm who brought them a Dart with a BB in it that proved it could be done and that is what got the ball rolling with Chrysler.

I need to go through all my tapes and see if I recorded the interview I am talking about, if I'm wrong then so be it but from what I seen it was Mr Norm who got it going.

I've seen an interview with a Chrysler exec and read a few articles that said it was Mr Norm who brought them a Dart with a BB in it that proved it could be done and that is what got the ball rolling with Chrysler.

That is what I have always read. Mr Norm did it first and then showed it to Chrysler.

Wylde1.

Post up dates of the first BB A-body's built by Chrysler and some dates on when Mr Norm built his first BB A

I need to go through all my tapes and see if I recorded the interview I am talking about, if I'm wrong then so be it but from what I seen it was Mr Norm who got it going.

I`ve read something along the same lines.

It was great talking with you at Monster Mopar, let me know if you ever want to sell that Foremost Swinger 5! I work for Mr. Norm and he cannot remember the exact date the 67 Dart GT was converted, but I will continue to to try and jog his memory. He has a picture of the car that he sells of it in his shop. It was GG1 green with black vinyl top and originally was a 273 automatic car. I would sure like to find that one!

Rhino

The article posted by yellowdartdave from the February 1967 Car Craft states Chrysler announced the Barracuda would get the 383 because they felt it would compete more strongly against the Mustang.
Mr. Norm took a 67 Dart GT with a 6 and an auto and put a 383 in it with hand built headers before Chrysler had a chance to build a 383 Barracuda.

"It was GG1 green with black vinyl top and originally was a 273 automatic car. I would sure like to find that one!"
"Mr. Norm took a 67 Dart GT with a 6 and an auto and put a 383 in it with hand built headers before Chrysler had a chance to build a 383 Barracuda."

Two posts apart, LOL! I think we know from talking to Norm that the car was a 273 car and he used some sort of factory manifold when he did the conversion. He always mentions a "heat shield" to protect the steering column so it must have been a tight fit on that side and the main reason why it wasn't done at the factory. What we need to do is find the guys that worked in the shop at that time and ask them.

This was a late year model so that rushed to get the car out and left the GT badging in most spots.

Actually the GTS was a option on the GT but only in 67. The vin's are LP23H or LP27H L=Dart P=Premiumn 23= hardtop 27=Convertible H= 383HP. The 67,s are hard to tell from the outside no hoods or stripes like 68/69 cars. 68/69 GTS Vins start LS=Dart S=GTS. If I ,am lucky I might be getting my 67 below back.:cheers:

Actually the GTS was a option on the GT but only in 67. The vin's are LP23H or LP27H L=Dart P=Premiumn 23= hardtop 27=Convertible H= 383HP. The 67,s are hard to tell from the outside no hoods or stripes like 68/69 cars. 68/69 GTS Vins start LS=Dart S=GTS. If I ,am lucky I might be getting my 67 below back.:cheers:

http://postimage.org/image/f0wlzcg4/
http://postimage.org/image/f0uyfzyc/
http://postimage.org/image/f2xdmm6c/
http://postimage.org/image/f606mv9g/
http://postimage.org/image/f1lf1jus/
http://postimage.org/image/2jqewbu9w/

Did you just have it listed on ebay?

"It was GG1 green with black vinyl top and originally was a 273 automatic car. I would sure like to find that one!"
"Mr. Norm took a 67 Dart GT with a 6 and an auto and put a 383 in it with hand built headers before Chrysler had a chance to build a 383 Barracuda."

Two posts apart, LOL! I think we know from talking to Norm that the car was a 273 car and he used some sort of factory manifold when he did the conversion. He always mentions a "heat shield" to protect the steering column so it must have been a tight fit on that side and the main reason why it wasn't done at the factory. What we need to do is find the guys that worked in the shop at that time and ask them.

Something doesn't add up.
What was the 67 Dart 383 with headers in the February 67 issue of Car Craft?
They don't mention a heat shield.
My understanding is that the 440 Dart was also built by Norm first in 68 using 383 cars, and that is when the factory manifold and heat shield was used, (and was the heat shield to protect the steering or was it the master cylinder?). I have an article around here somewhere that has a maroon 440 Dart and mentions the mc heat shield being on the car, (once again, my understanding from the materials I have read).

The CC article also states that Chrysler announced the 383 would be placed in the 67 Barracuda, as it would compete more strongly against the Mustang. This prompted Norm to stuff a 383 in a Dart.
Based on the info in the article, I find it hard to believe that Chrysler (who has come up with some pretty wild things) would be unable to imagine the 383 also fitting in the Dart, and then be surprised to see it actually installed.
The article seems to imply the announcement of the 383 in the Barracuda being prior to Norm placing a 383 in a Dart, and the Dart prior to Chrysler actually producing a 383 Barracuda. Who actually built what first we will probably never know.

I'm no expert, and I certainly believe there has been a large amount of bad info published since these cars were produced- so what's the deal with the Car Craft article from that period?

Something doesn't add up............

matthon....Pretty much what I was trying to say back in post #43.....

Story goes that Mr Norms made the 1st BB Dart and it was supposedly some big surprise to Chrysler officials when he took it up to them. If they were already building the BB Barracuda, its really not a big stretch to build a BB Dart, since they have the same engine compartment.

All 457 also had manual disc brakes. There is much more disinformation on the web about these cars than most, that is for sure, and that INCLUDES this site...

Not all my 67 has power and is on the broad cast sheet .:cheers:

-
Back