Rarity (and desirability) of a slant six/ factory 4 speed?

-

dart165

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Came across a 65 (supposed) one owner barracuda locally, that's a slant 6, 4 speed. This isn't the fist one I've seen, but it is the first one I've seen in a long time.

While i'm not gonna ask a loaded question like "what's it worth?" i would like to get everyones thoughts on the desirability of the quirky motor/trans combo. Is it interesting enough to add value? or is it something that most people would pass over for a 273?

99113305716_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=868mb9pshywAX8zZh00&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.jpg

55548806608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=RRkn1etHxHoAX870P4q&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.jpg

I don't see any production number breakdown in my book for the 225's in 65. It was a fairly common option and although there may be a fairly low number produced, It wouldn't necessarily be considered rare but desirable. The 225 reduces the value. The 273-4 Commando's are more sought after and sell for higher prices accordingly. I can't tell from photo but it looks fairly clean and worth saving.

Some folks groove on the quirky/unusual drivetrain combos which are generally the smaller engines with the performance transmission and rear gear ratio. However, the majority of folks groove on the larger displacement engines.

It's plenty cool. The average buyer might prefer a 273 because a 273 is bigger than a 225 and bigger is better.....yawn.

But the unusual-ness of the 225/4 speed is something you can't touch with a 273.

It's not gonna make you rich if that's what you're thinkin.

The total package in the pictures is not enough to give it more value being a slant. If a buyer is going to restore the interior etc. than they will more than likely put a V8 in front of that 4 speed. Does it currently run and drive?

Rare doesn't always equal desirability or an easy sell.
If you like it, then go ahead and buy it and don't think about resale.
I bet that there are a lot of slant 6 fans out there and would love to have this car especially because it's a 4 speed.
But, the price would have to be comparatively low to sell it versus a 273 4 speed car.
That would be a really fun car to cruise in, and good on gas to boot!

"I" would not put a V8 in that car as long as there wasn't a rod hangin outta the slant. But I consider myself not so "mainstream".

"I" would not put a V8 in that car as long as there wasn't a rod hangin outta the slant. But I consider myself not so "mainstream".
Even if there were a rod hanging out, there's replacement Slants.

I daily drive a slant six with an OD833 and I'm building a slant with a B&T 833.
Slants are not powerful and not fast but they are very fun and reliable. Maybe the day will come when everyone puts away their fast and furious DVDs and realize they don't need 500 horsepower for a commute.

Even if there were a rod hanging out, there's replacement Slants.

I daily drive a slant six with an OD833 and I'm building a slant with a B&T 833.
Slants are not powerful and not fast but they are very fun and reliable. Maybe the day will come when everyone puts away their fast and furious DVDs and realize they don't need 500 horsepower for a commute.

That's very true. And I've said it several times already.......this 400 swap in my car might not be permanent. I have a soft spot for slants. I am still also actively building my long rod 225 as well. Who says I caint swap engines around? lol

I would bet they were much more common back then. 70+ it would likely be a rare combination. Remember, it cost more to upgrade to an auto back then. Even so, the 4 speeds are probably way more uncommon than the 3 speeds. I wonder what kind of gear ratio they used with a slant 4 speed.

I owned very clean 65 273-4speed cuda.

It was a sweet car but by no means gonna wrinkle any pavement. And limited hot rodding potential. The early A body is better with a Slant.

I would bet they were much more common back then. 70+ it would likely be a rare combination. Remember, it cost more to upgrade to an auto back then. Even so, the 4 speeds are probably way more uncommon than the 3 speeds. I wonder what kind of gear ratio they used with a slant 4 speed.
4 speeds cost more than automatics. It's false nomenclature when people refer to 4 speeds as "standards". There was never anything "standard" about a 4 speed and very few cars recieved them as default equipment.

The three speed has always been the "standard" from the around the 80s to back when cars first came into existence. Most people then preferred column back then because usually Junior was riding between mom and dad.

I have seen a lot of 3.23 with manual transmission. Remember the torque convertor of an auto has a torque multiplier property that direct drive manuals do not have. So a lower gear is needed for a manual transmission to take off stronger. However I have heard of 2.76 gears with a manual but they don't take off very confidently.

The use of the term 'standard' is somewhat false when used on a 4 speed but regardless, everyone knows what it means.....a non-automatic trans.

The 3 speed on the tree is still plenty cool, even though it was common. Perhaps the king of all oddballs? The Citroen 5-on-the-tree.

The 274-4 4 speeds and automatics in 65 Barracudas are almost 50/50. I don't have numbers for the slants. It is what it is. More desirable as a 4 speed. May be the cr is worth $500 or more with a 4 gear vs a 3 speed or automatic. Not enough to make a big difference.

Slants will always be cool in my opinion. I wish they were all worth more so people would stop tearing them out for V8's.... I know.. I know...

Slants will always be cool in my opinion. I wish they were all worth more so people would stop tearing them out for V8's.... I know.. I know...
Nothing wrong with a leaning tower of power.

Agree I would fix the interior and drive it the way it is. It would be a fun car to daily drive.
Yes, they do make black duct tape DUH!!
Now if the slant had 2 afb's and a cross ram, now ya got sumpin. lol

I once got a ride in a CarCraft magazine build 67 Barracuda slant six 4spd. It was Loud, Fast (relatively speaking) and Real! I think the slant/4sp would be more fun than a 273 2bbl/auto in the same car.

I have a friend that put a slant 6 a o/d 4 speed and a 4:10 gear and 14-32's in his coupe. It runs real good and get's 26+ mpg on the highway.

100_5191.JPG

100_5190.JPG

100_5189.JPG

I owned very clean 65 273-4speed cuda.

It was a sweet car but by no means gonna wrinkle any pavement. And limited hot rodding potential. The early A body is better with a Slant.

I'd have to disagree with that. I've had both, neither stock. Liked both, but a 273 has all kinds of potential.

I'd have to disagree with that. I've had both, neither stock. Liked both, but a 273 has all kinds of potential.

By limited potential, I mean you'll never get a decent exhaust header on it unless you chop the car up.

Like said rarety and $$$ are not always related.
4 speeds are more fun for me even if the lowly slant. That slant bell is a good piece.
Want to be the fastest kid on the block, just pay the $$$$$ for modern muscle.
Want to drive around and chill, be cool... drive old Mopar iron! Slant 4 speed ranks right there!
Build as fast as ya want.

-
Back