rarity of the 265?

-
Yeah the OP was asking about a "265" in the USA they don't exit here. Those were Aussie Hemi 6 cylinders.... there was a guy I read importing them from Aussie to the USA in California somewhere, but I can't recall his name! BUT to add to this, you had a couple Australian Mopar straight 6 cylinder Hemi's, the 215, the 245, and the 265. I have a friend down there (ALSO a member to FABO here) that owns a 245 in a '66 Valiant UTE!!!! -Which he's posted!!!!

I thought I read it was a US developed truck motor that was was halted and then given to Chrysler, Oz. Could be wrong.

Pishta you'd be sort of right....... the Hemi 6 was a 6 cylinder that WAS to replace ALL the Slant 6's and become a truck motor in the US, and was stopped and Chrysler Australia took on the project!

Reminds me of an old story that the small block we all love was originally (gasp) a
GM design they couldn't get to work out and GM sold the whole design to Chrysler corporation.
Anyone else ever hear that?

-No I never heard that..... I wouldn't believe that for a minute! Reason? look at the old ORIGINAL Mopar "A" Poly-Head engines. the HEAVY "wide blocks"..... THEN take an look at a Mopar "LA" block. they're really close the same! EXTERIOR-WISE they're VERY CLOSE. The oil filter isn't how GM would have had it on the block & IS on the opposite side, and the starter is on the wrong side to be a GM design!! -The old Poly Head A blocks were interchangeable to the old A Hemi's! (You could buy a 241 Poly Head powered Plymouth.. and interchange the heads and intake with the Dodge Hemi-Head A 241!!!!!) So Having that much in resemblance way back when, I seriously doubt that GM had any part in the LA blocks!

Supposedly this was very early in design, early enough for Chrysler to make such changes to the details you mention.
I don't want believe it either, but I would believe there could have been something in design that GM engineering couldn't figure out that Chrysler engineers could make work really well.

-
Back