"Rattle Can" Experts

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I just got a $275 quote to have my twin hood scoops painted gloss black.

Unfortunately, I can't afford that right now (my daughter is completing her 3rd year at the University of Michigan (then on to graduate school), and my son is finishing his 1st year at Albion College).

I'm thinking I might try the "rattle can" first. Has anyone "rattle canned" their twin hood scoops? Good results? Any tips? Any favored, off the shelf, preferred products?

Thanks for your opinions. :prayer:

I just got a $275 quote to have my twin hood scoops painted gloss black.

Unfortunately, I can't afford that right now (my daughter is completing her 3rd year at the University of Michigan (then on to graduate school), and my son is finishing his 1st year at Albion College).

I'm thinking I might try the "rattle can" first. Has anyone "rattle canned" their twin hood scoops? Good results? Any tips? Any favored, off the shelf, preferred products?

Thanks for your opinions. :prayer:

if you go to a real automotive paint store, they may mix you up a spray can of good paint and then you can get a can of clear. It probably would only cost 20 or so to do that.

if you go to a real automotive paint store, they may mix you up a spray can of good paint and then you can get a can of clear. It probably would only cost 20 or so to do that.

X2, a much better choice. The paint will be much better quality and stay looking good longer.
Our local paint guy has had this option for a couple years now.

I would say you don't have much to lose in trying it.

I think spray the rattle cans will do a really good job, you'll probably need two cans of color and one to two cans of clear. Before you paint them make sure you have them sanded as smooth as possibly, and a use a primer that is compatible with the paint you are using. I think when all is done you'll have about $80-100 in paint supplies, each can will be around $20. Proper prep and waxing after a could weeks and they should last a longtime.

Also, Eastwood sells a rattle can of Urethane clear with hardener (push a button on the bottom of can to release hardener) for $20. That way you could have an excellent gloss clear paint job with modern 2K clear for less than $50. Just resist using the average Krylon (etc.) rattle can. Even with Krylon (or whatever) clear, the paint will fade with sunlight.

I've used the rattle cans mixed from a paint supply shop. They are $18 a can here locally. The blue and red that I have used played down really thin and clear. It took ALOT of coats. I sprayed the clear on pretty thick. After a wetsand and buff it looked GREAT.

But I think that if you just want gloss black and it doesn't need to be a perfect match to any other existing paint. A vinyl wrap could be very cheap, easy, and DIY.

I've used the rattle cans mixed from a paint supply shop. They are $18 a can here locally. The blue and red that I have used played down really thin and clear. It took ALOT of coats. I sprayed the clear on pretty thick. After a wetsand and buff it looked GREAT.

But I think that if you just want gloss black and it doesn't need to be a perfect match to any other existing paint. A vinyl wrap could be very cheap, easy, and DIY.

X2..... Real automotive paint,with catalyst and U.V. resistance in the paint,makes it last SOOO much longer.

I've painted scoops with eastwood underhood matte black and it comes out excellent.then I use eastwood semi gloss clear.really looks nice.but that's just my humble opinion,kent

Thanks for all the replies. Once it warms up enough, and I get some time to play, I'm going to give it a try. Can't be any worse than they look now.

I purchased the scoops from "MoparsByCrane" (now closed) after ordering, receiving, and returning 3 sets from Year-One. The gentleman at Crane asked me if I wanted the 340 emblem holes open or closed. Since the car is, and always will be a 318, I asked him to close them. When the scoops arrived they had the styrofoam packing peanuts stuck to them and now they are kind of stained looking.

Just saw the job homecloned did on his scoops. NICE! :thumbrig:

Finally got the time to "rattle can" my scoops. What do you think? If they were perfect, they'd make the rest of the car look bad :burnout:

BTW can you tell what's hanging up on the garage ceiling?

Attachments

• DSCN7079(Cropped).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 331
They seem to hold up on the sides of rail cars pretty well, with out a wbole lot of prep.

Not scoops, but I painted my rad support with a rattle can and was pleased with the results. I went to a paint shop and had them mix up the color and put it on a rattle can. Take your time and apply light coats to start and it will be fine. Just remember that the prep is actually more important than the painting. If you don't prep well enough the best painter in the world will not be able to make it look good.

I painted those scoops with an epoxy gloss black spray can appliance paint.
Has a wide fan tip. Home depot. Also used it for the inside tops of the doors. Dries hard smooth and glossy. Don't remember the brand, but will check next time im there.

-
Back