RB 440 Oil Mods [Blocking off top of motor]

Big Block A body Tech

1. 1Badcolt

1Badcolt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:57 AM
    Someone please educate me with above topic because of using a solid cam . I was told it keeps oil off of top of motor and keeps it downstairs ???

2. 440dartsport

440dartsport Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:57 AM
    I wouldn't block off the oil to the top end. I turn my RB Stroker motor to 7200 rpm consistently with a solid cam. Run a Milodon external oil pick up and full groove main bearings and you'll be good to go.

3. DartVadar

DartVadar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Why would you want to limit oil to the top end? Isn't that the last place to get oil anyways.

4. bOb shingler

bOb shingler Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:57 AM
    this will work better for you. drill and tap 1/8" set screws in each passage to the heads. seal with loctite. turn #4 cam bearing upside down and drill new hole to feed the main. use full grove mains. this will supply full time oiling to the main and rod on each side. these are the two rods that will spin their bearing when oil supply is low. this will also provide full time oiling to the rocker gear also. now if you think you have too much oil up top tap and install a carb jet of your choice or tap the passage at the deck and install a 1/8" pipe plug with a hole drilled in it the size you need to hold down the oil supply.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • moper

moper FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      10:57 AM
      The premise is just as Bob's picture above shows - Because the oil is fed down to the mains through the same passage that connects through the camshaft to feed the rockers, the oil going up to the heads can take volume away from the #4 main, which in turn can limit the oil for the rods that main feeds. IMO - you need some really large clearances, a grooved #4 cam journal or grooved bearing, or really high sustained rpm to encounter that issue. What are the plans for this engine? What heads are you running?

• mguner

mguner How many is too many?

Local Time:
      What about the mods for the roller cam setup where you run a tube down the galley and dimple it for the tappets? Is that no longer needed for the new style lifters?

• moper

moper FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      10:57 AM
      The new lifters will minimize the pressure leakage but only address that particular problem. Personally - I would have the lifter bores bushed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.