RB Timing Cover R&R - Cork Gasket

-

70Duster440

Reaction score
My son's doing a cam swap on a 440, in vehicle. It's certainly not rocket science but looking for tip involving the cork section included in the timing gasket set.

Tried gluing the cork section to the oil pan lip but found we could not compress it enough to get the timing cover over the dowel pins in the block without fubering the dowel pin holes in the timing cover. We don't want to have to loosen the oil pan either. Any tricks to getting the cover in place, short of ditching the cork piece and running a bead of gasket maker in its place? Don't want leaks and that would be a fair void to fill.

I never had good luck with those, After messing around for so long and loosening up the pan and having a oil leak. It's really just as easy to pull the pan clean and replace the pan gasket. Never had a leak doing it that way and the whole job just turns out better.

Thanks, yeah, we may just suck it up and drop the pan. It’s in a truck, rear sump. If it doesn’t hang up on the pickup or something it might not be too bad.

You can usually get the pan off of a truck without much trouble, especially a 4x4. Trucks have WAY more room to maneuver than any car.

You can usually get the pan off of a truck without much trouble, especially a 4x4. Trucks have WAY more room to maneuver than any car.

Same here , I even bent my cover up trying to compress that cork piece. I ended up pulling the cover and pan , and straightening the cover and re inforcing it in the weak places , it had the stiffener for my roller cam button welded on in or I might have just switched.

Thanks, guys. Yup, we pulled the pan (spent more time trying to break the seal than anything). Wasn’t bad at all and worth it. It’s all back together now. Just waiting for a couple of dabs of RTV to fully cure.

-
Back