Re-installing shift boot and plate(s)

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
On '68, 4 spd. Inland shifter - is there a trick to getting the screws through boot and plates and line up through the carpet to the old screw holes? fought his for over an hour and had to put off for another day. ,patience is possibly not my thing ..maybe someone has dreamed up a method for this?

Ya , use a pick to line em up.
image_16048.jpg

yea I can see that - I gotta have one somewhere. very practical idea - thanks.

X2 on this. I use something a fair bit smaller than the hole, like a small nail with a head (not a finish nail). Once you get two holes located, the rest all line up.

The way I did it was with a finishing nail to line it up , then took a wooding burning iron( from the kids set..lol ) then follow the nail down the hole , this will make you a uniform hole and the screws won't get caught on the threads.

yea that worked out - I don't know why I did not think to use something to line it up -- just got frustrating I guess and brain goes blank.. 'spose carpet was causing some issues but this is no brainer really (which is right up my alley!!).

yea that worked out - I don't know why I did not think to use something to line it up -- just got frustrating I guess and brain goes blank.. 'spose carpet was causing some issues but this is no brainer really (which is right up my alley!!).

My test light has a lot of different uses.:D

-
Back