Re-splined axles

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I'm having a 73 8-3/4 truck housing cut down to fit my Cuda a little narrower than stock to pull my wheels in and center them up and the truck axles are long enough to cut and re-spline and use. My question is if this is a good idea or not because my engine is a real torquey 408. If I'm not mistaken axles are only hardened so far back and 4" will need to be cut off of them to get them short enough. I have drag radials on it and it hooks up pretty decent so I'm on the fence about this. Has anyone here done this with success or have any input on the subject? If I don't get a definite answer I will spring for a set of aftermarket axles to be safe but if guys have done this successfully it would be nice to know to save the extra bucks.

I was going to do the same for my 9", but after talking to the guys at Dutchman axle I went with a new custom set. After shipping and paying them to machine them I decided it was not worth it so I went with new. They claim that the alloys now are better.

Tnx for the info John. I don't doubt the new alloy is better and my guess is any company that sells axles will tell me I need new ones. It's not going to cost me much more to have him cut mine down and re-spline them so going with new axles will cost a lot more but at the same time that last thing I want to happen is one of these old ones giving up the ghost and trashing my new rear, or worse yet the rear and a 1/4 panel. Decisions, decisions

..............Or the tranny exploding and cutting off 1 of ur feet or worse........i had 2 sets done both sets twisted off........1 set on street tires at the track, other set with slicks....just tore out the sprag....as i understand u cannot re-harden the axle to make it as strong as factory.........lots of ppl do it, but i like my feet......absolutely never again..........kim.........

..............Or the tranny exploding and cutting off 1 of ur feet or worse........i had 2 sets done both sets twisted off........1 set on street tires at the track, other set with slicks....just tore out the sprag....as i understand u cannot re-harden the axle to make it as strong as factory.........lots of ppl do it, but i like my feet......absolutely never again..........kim.........

Good points Kim... tnx for the real world input.. We got Monster Mopar coming up next weekend and several vendors are going to be there so maybe I'll get lucky and find a deal on a set of aftermarket axles

Good points Kim... tnx for the real world input.. We got Monster Mopar coming up next weekend and several vendors are going to be there so maybe I'll get lucky and find a deal on a set of aftermarket axles
If you don,t find any at the swap Tracy,do a search for member magicsunset.He sells Moser axels cheaper than Moser.
I guess he buys up from Hot Rod shops that have gone tits up.

or Call Dr. Diff. Cass is a good guy to deal with.

...as i understand u cannot re-harden the axle to make it as strong as factory.......

I hope that statement isn't true. I just bought a new rear with resplined and rehardened axles that supposedly should support 600hp. I need them to support every bit of that...

I hope that statement isn't true. I just bought a new rear with resplined and rehardened axles that supposedly should support 600hp. I need them to support every bit of that...
Kim is right,If you are pushing 600-true and hooking up,I can't understand trying to save money on axles.No disrespect but maybe you could use them on the street with a little less horse?

Kim is right,If you are pushing 600-true and hooking up,I can't understand trying to save money on axles.No disrespect but maybe you could use them on the street with a little less horse?

No I wasn't trying to save money. I bought the rear this way. It's Mad Dart's 4 link he built for his pre-turbo setup. I'm going to be using 325/50/15 MT ET's so it should hook pretty hard. I don't know what the true hp this motor is pushing. It's a 15:1 416 motor with worked W2 heads.

......Dont chance it.......U can sell ur resplined axles to put towards a good set....my cars both had less than 475 crank hp.....besides losing an axle, i lost the tranny and a rearend housing that i had to sacrifice as the other axle twisted but wouldnt come out of my clutch type suregrip........the remaining stub of the axle i cut off with a regular hack saw, cut like butter.............kim.....

-
Back