Re-using Felpro 1008 head gaskets?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Would you?
Have you?
Your experiences?

I pulled one head just to check the gasket. Turns out it was an intake gasket that failed to seal. The head gasket looks fine to me.
The head gasket got coolant on it when I pulled the head, but was immediately wiped off. This gasket was brand new 400 miles ago.
Just curious if you would re-use it, and if so, would you clean it first, and if so what would you use?

20181117_163826.jpg

20181117_163843.jpg

20181117_163849.jpg

Part of the composition of the gasket is dependant on the crush.
Now its used up.
Now,me being backwoods kind of repair guy i would hit it with coppercoat gasket adhesive/sealant and slam it back together.
Doing this for myself? Sure. My time my risk.
For a customer? Nope. Its just not quality work then.

Send fel-pro an e-mail and ask them.see what their opinion is. I’d be curious.

No, you already torqued them down and compressed them. Too much chance for a leak! 65'

Yeah go for it. Then you'll know why not to reuse that type head gasket. lol

Years ago my cousin and I reused Fel Pro head gaskets on several occasions with no problems.

Well as always I'm the odd man out. I have reused that head gaskets before. If it has not gone through many heat cycles, like the one you are showing I would used it again. If it was a high compression engine then no I would not. I have one on my truck right now that was reused about 3 years ago? and I can not tell how many miles, no problem.

People can disagree all they want. A 40 buck head gasket, or repairing the damaged engine "AGAIN" after the reused head gasket fails. True, it might not fail, but 40 bucks. Seriously?

"I" would never reuse one of that type. Solid copper, maybe. Probably not even that. To me it's not worth taking the chance with an INVESTMENT such as an engine.

Ok, I asked for advice, and I'm taking it, gasket ordered. Thanks for taking the time to respond, guys!

I’d reuse them in a low performance application where it was going to be retorqed to the same head, block, and position. Anything more than that requires new gaskets

I would not reuse it, unless it was a rush repair or whatever and I couldn't get another. Then I'd probably add 2-3 pound feet and stick it in there. Crush is important with them so give it a hair more if you reuse.

Thanks Moper, but as broke as I am right now, I decided it's not worth risking this engine for the price of one more gasket.

Ah, the high school days of choices: Beer money this weekend or a new head gasket? Beer me! and it worked........

Not happening. The engine would have to come out.

I am curious why, though?

When I did my 273 I buckled the edge of a head gasket getting it out of the box. Could I use it? Sure. Should I use it? I didn't. I ordered a pair just in case. Why take a chance!

Yes, only one head was removed. The other wasn't even touched.
The gaskets aren't even two months old, with 400 miles at the most.

What if the leak is on the other side? Kim

It was the intake gasket on the passenger side. Smoke out that bank only, no crossover, separate exhaust.
I should never have even pulled the one head.

Original leak thread-
How bad?

Last edited:
-
Back