Ready to give up on shipping parts (or anything)...

-

AbodyTim

Reaction score
Went to the local PO to get a flat rate envelope to mail some hinges to a member. Seems they don't carry flat rate envelopes? Clerk tells me I can use one of the regular envelopes and send it priority. OK. Shock comes when I'm informed that the rate will be $19.80 + the envelope instead of $7.55 like the flat rate envelope. Seems like I always get the same PO'ed woman every time I go in. Maybe if she had been in a better mood she would have told me to use a medium flat rate box for $14.35 since they wouldn't fit in a small one (or if I mailed enough I would have known). If it wasn't such a pain to get to the PO I would have just left and found out on my own.
Not the first time this PO has screwed me over. They have gotten me twice and charged extra when I dropped off a package to ship, saying I weighed it light. I ALWAYS weigh my packages on 2 different digital scales and always come up with the same weight on both. Rather than argue (always a line behind me) I just pay up and leave.
Anyway, rant over. I did send an email to the PO but do not expect an answer.

We use both UPS and the USPS for the bulk of our shipments at our work. In most cases, our corporate UPS rate is cheaper than USPS.
We had a USPS shipment about a month ago that failed to deliver 1 out of 5 packages on the shipment. The customer has tried to trace through USPS.com without success and cannot get any reply from the USPS. As the shipper, we entered a claim for a lost package but the only response we've received in the past month is that they're tracking it.
Both the customer and us have been unable to get any voice contact or reply from the USPS.
Very frustrating.

I use both, UPS through my company and USPS when warranted. I do pack for both shippers myself though and I have never had a problem with either.

You can go on the USPS web site and order Priority Mail boxes and envelopes and have them sent to your home or work address at absolutely no cost. You can also use the USPS site to purchase and print a shipping label. Pack your stuff up, tape the label on with clear packing tape, and let your postal carrier pick it up next time they come to your address. You never have to go to the post office.

You can go on the USPS web site and order Priority Mail boxes and envelopes and have them sent to your home or work address at absolutely no cost. You can also use the USPS site to purchase and print a shipping label. Pack your stuff up, tape the label on with clear packing tape, and let your postal carrier pick it up next time they come to your address. You never have to go to the post office.

That's what I did. I needed ONE flat large game box. Just one was all I needed. One. I got a package of 25. For free. Boxes free. Shipping free. No wonder the PO is bleeding.

This is what I do. Free USPS packaging, no issues. Also, sign up for a USPS account so you can print your own labels. Makes drop off sooooo easy!

Went to the local PO to get a flat rate envelope to mail some hinges to a member. Seems they don't carry flat rate envelopes? Clerk tells me I can use one of the regular envelopes and send it priority. OK. Shock comes when I'm informed that the rate will be $19.80 + the envelope instead of $7.55 like the flat rate envelope. Seems like I always get the same PO'ed woman every time I go in. Maybe if she had been in a better mood she would have told me to use a medium flat rate box for $14.35 since they wouldn't fit in a small one (or if I mailed enough I would have known). If it wasn't such a pain to get to the PO I would have just left and found out on my own.
Not the first time this PO has screwed me over. They have gotten me twice and charged extra when I dropped off a package to ship, saying I weighed it light. I ALWAYS weigh my packages on 2 different digital scales and always come up with the same weight on both. Rather than argue (always a line behind me) I just pay up and leave.
Anyway, rant over. I did send an email to the PO but do not expect an answer.
All post offices should have both flat rate boxes & envelopes in stock for free. They should also have padded flat rate envelopes. Although they cost $8.00 to send. (I work in a college mail services dept). You can order all of them through USPS.com at no cost or you can leave a note for your rural (home) carrier & they will usually leave some for you.

I’m in Canada. We finally got flat rate boxes up here this year. Only good for 11 pounds. To ship in a padded envelope 2 provinces over was $18.00. To ship the same thing to Georgia was $9.00. I’m amazed we can ship to the states cheaper than across our own country. We have to pay for the boxes and envelopes. Kim

That's what I did. I needed ONE flat large game box. Just one was all I needed. One. I got a package of 25. For free. Boxes free. Shipping free. No wonder the PO is bleeding.

It's all the two-dollar crap with free shipping from China, and USPS propping up Amazon delivery times, that's causing the bleeding.

Those free boxes aren't much compared to a billion packages from China that nobody is paying shipping on except the usps.

I do weigh and then print my own labels. One of the reasons I'm POed at the PO is that 2 times they said I was light on the postage. If I did a lot of shipping I would order the free stuff. I will say I never had a problem with the PO in Lilburn near my old home or with the one in Cleveland, GA for the 7 yrs. we lived there. Only with the one in Dacula.

Not real happy with UPS, either. USPS, --- FINALLY got the mail guy trained NOT to dump packages on my front porch, and walk 8 more steps and hide it under the carport.

UPS, is SUPPOSED to send all my packages to the local UPS "store" instead of my house, and although irritating, at least they arent subject to theft or weather at the house. So I ordered a camera from Canon (refurb) and some deal the "shipper" restricted the package so it's coming to the house and there's nothing I can do about it

UPS "SUPPORT" sucks. Chinese, no Speenglish, no help, no how. The local store "is not involved"

Not real happy with UPS, either. USPS, --- FINALLY got the mail guy trained NOT to dump packages on my front porch, and walk 8 more steps and hide it under the carport.

UPS, is SUPPOSED to send all my packages to the local UPS "store" instead of my house, and although irritating, at least they arent subject to theft or weather at the house. So I ordered a camera from Canon (refurb) and some deal the "shipper" restricted the package so it's coming to the house and there's nothing I can do about it

UPS "SUPPORT" sucks. Chinese, no Speenglish, no help, no how. The local store "is not involved"

To me shipping anything sucks now , everyone has gone nuts on prices !

Tim....if they try to lay it to your hide on the trans x member, let me know and I will take care of you. No sense in you eating it. I've been pretty lucky with my post office. They are always easy to work with.

Thanks for info Kim. I would assume the flat rate is for shipping within our beautiful borders? What if you didnt do "flat rate" and shipped in the padded envelope?
Post office in our home town has excellent staff. Friendly, knowledgable and cute females. No grumps.
I’m in Canada. We finally got flat rate boxes up here this year. Only good for 11 pounds. To ship in a padded envelope 2 provinces over was $18.00. To ship the same thing to Georgia was $9.00. I’m amazed we can ship to the states cheaper than across our own country. We have to pay for the boxes and envelopes. Kim

And just so you know...FedEx flies all USPS mail....so paying for Priority, unless it is the Flat Rate stuff, is a rip off as ALL USPS mail gets flown in the same FedEx pods...it does not get separated by class....
Postal Service & FedEx renew contract

Thanks for info Kim. I would assume the flat rate is for shipping within our beautiful borders? What if you didnt do "flat rate" and shipped in the padded envelope?
Post office in our home town has excellent staff. Friendly, knowledgable and cute females. No grumps.
Steve, the fr boxes only for Canada. They come with $100.00 insurance and tracking. The padded envelope doesnt have insurance or tracking. Kim

It's all the two-dollar crap with free shipping from China, and USPS propping up Amazon delivery times, that's causing the bleeding.

Those free boxes aren't much compared to a billion packages from China that nobody is paying shipping on except the usps.

Yeah but them boxes cost SOMETHING to make and I ain't the only one they're sendin free boxes to. To send out free case packs of boxes just to depend on the customer "might" use them is pretty bad planning.

-
Back