Real 1972 Dart 340, 3spd for sale on ebay..

-

813Demon340

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972...1604847?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f185bbc6f

This is a legit 1972 Dart Swinger 340, one of the few built in Canada. Unfortunately its missing alot, including the fender tag and #'s driveline. But you won't likely to find another one for sale. That car deserves to be restored right. If I wasn't in the middle of a full on resto I'd be bidding. How fun would it be to take that thing to shows and blow peoples minds!

wonder what the reserve is and what engine is in the car. Not real clear about the engine size other than date correct from what I read. Maybe I missed it. If it is a 72 model year engine, I'd love to know the vin on the block.

for some reason the 72 340 don't make it plus the price for what's not there don't make it either

That one can be a real score especially if you could come accross the original drive train.

"I'AM SELLING THIS CAR BECAUSE I'AM OLD AND WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RESTORE ALL MY CARS SO SOME HAVE TO GO."

"I'AM SELLING THIS CAR FOR A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS A MOPAR GURU, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE, OR SEND ME YOUR NUMBER AND I WILL PASS IT ON TO HIM."

I can relate to the first one but the second one make things confusing.

I'm gonna have to disagree with the previous poster and several others that seem to have a- "if the engine is not original or matching numbers, then it's 'just another", whatever bodystyle, in this case Dart".

Is a VS29H VIN car "just a duster"?

How about an WS23L VIN- Just another Coronet?

I personally don't care if the motor is matching, but I do place signifigance and higher desireability on cars that were built as performance models- I'd rather have a real R/T or Super Bee with a different motor, than a (just a) Coronet.

EDIT- there should be a smiley for "stirrin' the pot" :)

EDIT II- I like 66/67 B bodies- it is a HUGE bonus not to have to worry about matching numbers motors.
If you really want to put a "date correct" motor in- great. Then you're done. It doesn't matter- it can't be proven/disproved.
It then becomes MUCH more important what that 5th VIN digit is.

"Just another" 318 car, or a 383 car with the correct 383?

I'm gonna have to disagree with the previous poster and several others that seem to have a- "if the engine is not original or matching numbers, then it's 'just another", whatever bodystyle, in this case Dart".

Is a VS29H VIN car "just a duster"?

How about an WS23L VIN- Just another Coronet?

I personally don't care if the motor is matching, but I do place signifigance and higher desireability on cars that were built as performance models- I'd rather have a real R/T or Super Bee with a different motor, than a (just a) Coronet.

EDIT- there should be a smiley for "stirrin' the pot" :)

I agree with you on this one. An original Superbird car is worth more than a clone any day of the week even if neither have the original drive train. A Superbird that was converted back to a RR is still more valueable than the same street RR.

this is a rare car. only a couple of them exist. i herd this guy has a 71 340 4 speed dart also.

A buddy of mine who lives about 10 blocks away from me has a LEGIT 72 340 H-CODE Dart Swinger. Sold new from CROSSTOWN CHRYSLER in EDMONTON, ALBERTA. I have seen 5 or 6 71-72 H-code Swingers in and around the CALGARY/EDMONTON area. They were called WESTERN SPECIALS, specially ordered by a guy who owned 2 Chrysler dealerships. Crosstown in Edmonton, and another dealership in Saskatchewan. I believe he ordered about 50 each year. I saw an orange 71 for sale in Calgary, no drivetrain, needing a full RESTO. 20k, Crazy considering, Western Specials bring about 20% more than a 70 340 Swinger. Somebody BOUGHT IT.

I have a 71 swinger 340 special. LL23H1R.....
The 72's are more rare than the 71's and as fas as I know. AdamR has a 72 340 swinger. I'll watch this with interest.

Garth

The 71's were a special order from 2 dealerships, Crestview and Crosstown. Chrysler had to be convinced to make them. The 72's were chryslers idea and given to the 2 dealerships and maybe 1 car to an American dealer. I have more info if you guys want it.

Garth

The 71's were a special order from 2 dealerships, Crestview and Crosstown. Chrysler had to be convinced to make them. The 72's were chryslers idea and given to the 2 dealerships and maybe 1 car to an American dealer. I have more info if you guys want it.

Garth

I have heard about some sold in Califorina so post up what you have because I would like to hear more.

Copied from Cliff Guinand's write up.

The 1972 Canadian 340 Swinger Specials went
totally under the automotive radar – there was
some talk and research on the ‘71 340 Specials, but
virtually no one knew ‘72’s existed. These cars were not ordered in the
same sense of the word as the ‘71’s, but were ordered and commissioned by Chrysler Head
Office and given to both Crosstown Motors in Edmonton, Alberta and Pembina Dodge in Winnipeg, Manitoba as thanks for
selling a whole lot of inventory. It seems Head Office wanted to move over a 1000 units in the spring of ‘72 and approached these two
dealerships to undertake the daunting task.Well, they must have did it because over 50* of these ‘little hotrods’ (as Ike Vicker, owner
of Pembina Dodge put it) were delivered. From the documented survivors, 45 went to Edmonton and an unsubstantiated number went
to Winnipeg. Not a lot is know about these cars because so few were produced – they don’t pop-up every day (or decade). Also, there
is little know about them because they weren't part of an independent dealership order, but one issued by Chrysler Head Office.
Like 71’s, ‘72 Swinger 340's were ordered and built as the Dart Swinger Special which has the VIN prefix of LL23H2R (L=Dart, L=Low,
23=2 Door Hardtop, H=340, 2=72, R=Windsor, Ontario Plant). The ‘72’s – which were ordered as Specials – denoted the base or
bottom line of the Dart model. But, these came with the extra special numeral ‘9’ typed on the broadcast sheets, indicating the highly
sought after Y39 ‘SPECIAL ORDER' code.
Ordered and built primarily as a performance car at the end of the performance era -
they were all cookie-cutter, plain-jane, low option cars - equipped with 10” drum
brakes all around, HD sway bars, rubber floor mats, hounds-tooth/vinyl seats and
no rear arm rests, but you did get an AM radio, maybe. The drive train options - along
with the hi-winding 275 hp 340 – was a standard 3 speed automatic (D34), the 4 speed
manual (D21) or the 3 speed manual (D13) transmissions. They also came with the dual
snorkel hood, torque boxes and 8 3/4” 3:23 gear rear ends standard. With just 2 hi-impact
colours left – Hemi Orange and Top Banana – the colour choices were pretty much the full ‘72
line, except if there were only a few cars left on the lot to choose from. The only variation on options
was found in a 3 speed manual car which came radio delete. Broadcast sheets for the Pembina cars indicate a handwritten mark
over the moldings section to indicate an upgrade.
These cars had a late ‘72 scheduled build date, with the Crosstown cars going through on May 11 (511) and the Pembina
cars on June 16 (616) in the Windsor, Ontario, Canada plant. Like the ‘71’s, all VIN numbers and order numbers
are sequential, which means one of these cars can be identified by the VIN or the order number located on
the fender tag or broadcast sheet. All fender tags and broadcast sheets indicate hounds-tooth B1
interiors going out with X9 black or with the exterior colour carrying on to the inside. They also now
came with shoulder belts, the new cheaper cardboard headliner and a new dash face.
The 340’s in these cars were the forged crank engines from ‘71 and almost retained the performance
numbers of the ‘71 340’s – even with the slight drop in compression, the smaller 1:88 J heads
and slightly reworked ThermoQuad carb – they could achieve tire melting blasts at the drop of a
chevy. The engines were painted blue since they were from a late '71 production run (according to existing
engine casting dates). They also received the then mandated EGR system and the Chrysler electronic ignition was standard form.
The ‘72 Dart Swinger 340 Special is quite similar to the ‘70 and ‘71 models. The most noticeable differences are the full ‘swept’ front
grille, front marker light placement, flush front and rear marker lights, front split bench seat and
dual snorkel type hood scoop. Carry overs were the quad '71 tail lights, rallye wheels, with dark
argent centers and small bolt pattern with acorn centre hubs (dealer installed). The
‘Swinger’ emblem is located on the front fenders like the ‘71’s and has the ‘Special’
emblem under it. The ‘340’ emblems had been moved from the hood scoops as on 70
and 71’s to the front fender just behind the marker lights. All 50+ cars received black or
white bumblebee tail stripes even though none were coded for it (again, dealer installed).
Like the ‘71’s – rear torsion and front leaf torque boxes were applied to most (some automatics
may have just received front boxes) of the cars. They also came equipped with HD sway bars – as other 340 Swingers before them. When
the hood was opened, the immediate differences ware a large single snorkel, orange air cleaner emblazoned with a 340 4 barrel decal.
It was now attached to the new low restriction version exhaust manifolds by black ducting strung up to the air cleaner. Also, as part of the
new emissions push, a black charcoal canister was tucked into a freshly retooled inner passenger fender.
At this time, there are only 8 known documented survivors, a couple ‘possibles’ and rumors out there. Of them, six were located in
Alberta, two in BC and one in California – a Pembina car – so to all you Mopar fans from Manitoba, you better keep an eye out
because there are a possible 24 of these rare little hotrods out there to be discovered. If you have one, have seen one, heard
rumors or just want more information, please call Cliff at (403) 249.2252 or e-mail at: guinands@telus.net.
Research & design by Cliff Guinand: www.burnouts.net. Information and cars courtesy of Darren Sauer, Dan Mohr and Kevin Kaiser

We've got a few members that I know of that have one of these cars, I have one, raredart has one, scatpacker has one, cliff guinand has one, dartgarth has one and that's probably half of the total known too exist.

From what I know the one on Ebay is one of only two known to exist from Pembina Dodge Manitoba. I know this because members Cliff Guinand and scatpacker helped me find out that mine is the other. The majority of the survivors, both 71 and 72, are Crosstown cars from Edmonton. Still just a handful.

Thanks for posting the '72 Swinger 340 Special info dartgarth – and Swinger340Canuck – as you now know, your Pembina EV2 car, like the one that was on eBay, were a bit more 'blinged' out as your cars broadcast sheet indicates, but rare as hens teeth. I'm posting Scatpackers Y1 (the only one to be almost fully restored - couple others in the works), so you all can take a peek at 'rare'.

Attachments

• KK's_Y172_3-4_Radium_sm.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 378
Yeah, too bad there are no magazine's or big shows up this way to attract the magazines, so exposure is pretty much none existent. We pretty much have to go to MATS in Vegas (Kori Alexander can vouch for that with all his big wins there). Hopefully, forums like this great one will help in telling this great little page in rare muscle car history.

that is very cool. my niece has a 72 swinger special but it was a /6 car. in my opinion the grilles on the 72 darts and demons are the most menacing of all the a bodies with a close second to the 71-2 duster sharktooth

Here is “that car” today! After 8 years, almost done! The last factory manual transmission Dodge Dart built! Hope to be at Western Mopar Madness in July.

E93949E3-3D2E-4B4A-8C5C-B608F741F080.jpeg

-
Back