Really Good video on exhaust system myths ..... everything you'd like to know

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
found this video about exhaust systems myths headers , collectors , scavenaging effects, pipe diameters , muffler types and tailpipes . REALY Good info. enjoy !

interesting straight pipe stuff. Now I gotta fix my header design.....:BangHead:

Penske did some experimenting with the cross banked headers.
They definitely sounded different, smoooother.
All the talking heads commented on it.
That was a few yrs ago, - haven't heard that sound since.

I would think in the perfect world the crank would be designed, and the firing order would be designed for maximum scavenge and minimum restriction for the exhaust. Maybe thats where the cross bank headers comes in, but I could see problems working around accessories in and engine compartment. Talked to some ford engineers a a while back that designed an awesome motor only to find the engine compartment was configured incorrectly. 5 year setback.

J
I would think in the perfect world the crank would be designed, and the firing order would be designed for maximum scavenge and minimum restriction for the exhaust. Maybe thats where the cross bank headers comes in, but I could see problems working around accessories in and engine compartment. Talked to some ford engineers a a while back that designed an awesome motor only to find the engine compartment was configured incorrectly. 5 year setback.

Yes, crank and cam configuration was discussed..
Kinda like Ferd changing firing order in the 351.
It either didn't t work well, but more likely a rule against it, or Penske would be using it.
That engine sounded so sweet.

There’s some art right there...
upload_2019-1-20_10-0-18.jpeg

-
Back