Really!!!! sub standard repair.

-

Bozwel

Reaction score
DSCF6843.JPG

Link to US advert from a couple of years ago
1966-barracuda-formula-s-8.jpg

the car now resides in the UK and i'm the third UK owner. that above linked advert shows floor sections recently replaced.

took the interior out to sort a couple minor of issues which has turned to a massive weldathon.

DSCF6900.JPG

DSCF6902.JPG

DSCF6904.JPG

you are not supposed to be able pop a welded floor out with a screw driver. Who ever 'welded' these floors in should be really embarrassed and not allowed near a welder ever again. no naming names so please no digging and let them be embarrassed in private. it took longer to clean the sealer off hiding the poor repair than removing the poor repair itself.

but it gets worse.

DSCF6898.JPG

yep that is a 15 inch grinder cut in the sill (rocker) panel not repaired before the floor was put back over it. There are other cuts in the torque reaction cross member which require welding before the floors get put back in properly as well as a really hacked floor edges that need tidying.

I'm going to put extra strength in the chassis just to make sure so part way through fabricating frame connectors.

DSCF6910.JPG

rant over (for now)

Nothing surprises me anymore. Some people should not be allowed to “fix” anything. Glad you found it before needing to rely on the car being structural.

DSCF6879.JPG

plan was to just tidy bits and pieces and use till the other was done. but as i'm now having to put loads of time, money and effort into it to not make it any more valuable iv'e decided after a bit of deliberation it's going to be a keeper so it'll get converted to RHD.

so the shiny dash i restored will get hacked.

The Blue one will get all the shiny bits from both cars and the Gold 4 speed one will be more of a track car with stripped interior. (again RHD)

I have seen worse but since you were not satisfied and saw they were not right this cars is in good hands now. Remember to drill holes and plug weld them to the rails.

20171217_163519.jpg

20171222_145446.jpg

20171222_150827.jpg

And i thought i was a hack….
Good you found it and making it solid again.

Why are you converting it to RHD? Do British road rules require it? I know they used to in Australia, but not anymore on older iron imported there after I think 35 years. If it's not a requirement, then that just seems like an awful lot of effort.

....and I thought my job on Vixen's floors was second rate. Kitty's right. I did pretty good. lol

I recently reworked a friends 67 barracuda that had a lot of poorly done metal work. The outer rockers were those crap taiwan ones and fit terrible. Lucky for me half his "welds" had zero penetration so it was not too bad to remove. Installed new AMD rockers and she was good to go.
The car ended up in my garage for over a year while I went over and fixed all the sheet metal on the entire car.
Now im doing my 74 Cuda and I have to say its nice working on virgin car that has never been apart.

Gosh am I glad to be reading about other people doing floor pan repairs/replacements/welding too! I thought maybe I was the only one that didn't want calloused feet from playing Fred Flintstone.
20220104_224304.jpg

Before you chop up the dash see if you can source one from Down Under with all the trim .

Then you could sell the one you have .

iv'e done it before, it's not difficult.

DSCF6686.JPG

DSCF6687.JPG

DSCF6689.JPG

DSCF6729.JPG

There's probably less than 10 '66 Barracuda's in the UK? no one would buy it and it'll cost too much to ship abroad to be worth while.

fabrication isn't anything i'm afraid of

DSCF6883.JPG

DSCF6834.JPG

i'm just annoyed about buying a car that i thought had been repaired properly so i wont need to do too much to have fun with it.

Bozwel what is that little red car you have? Looks like an old Triumph. Pretty paint job on it too. You did a bang up job on converting the 66 dash to RHD. Looks like a factory swap. Are you going to use RHD steering and firewall pieces from Aussie A bodies ?

It's a 1967 Honda S800 with a 2005 Honda S2000 engine and gearbox. I'm fabricating an axle from various Ford, Honda and Mazda parts to be able to use the S800's original wheels as well as the Porsche wheels it's sitting on at present and it's mounted with 5 links as original so it could be converted back if desired (wont be in my lifetime) Photo's don't show how small the S800 is but the wheel base is smaller than the original 1960' Mini.

DSCF1140 (Small).JPG

iv'e had it since 2007

as for the Barracuda. I'm going to convert it to rack and make any modifications i need to the bulkhead. I did some measuring years ago with the Gold car and found if i drop the K frame half inch and fit a old Jaguar rack i can reduce the bump steer to virtually zero with just a bit at full bump and droop.

Last edited:
That S800 with the F20c is awesome. I bet that thing is a riot to drive. Nice work.

How is the placement of the gear shifter with the RH drive? Looks like it might be uncomfortable.

i'm keeping the Gold car with the original A833.

i'm also keeping the original Inland shifter and being made of metal means it'll bend to the position i want it. (which i have done already.)

iv'e also done quite a few mods on the Auto shifter in the Blue car as it had too much play and wouldn't always engage Park. Fabricated a few bushes, and changed others for rose joints so now there is zero play in the linkage.

i also had to redo the kick-down linkage as that wasn't working properly as it was fitted completely wrong. Throttle got very heavy over 1/2 throttle and was just trying to bend the kick-down linkage at near full throttle. no adjustment worked so i changed the angle of the pivot bracket by cutting and re-welding , reset the linkage and now has a light linear throttle and kick-down.

I also spent around 20 hours getting the windows to shut properly and aligned undoing some bodges and really poor adjustment.

there seems to be a theme with this car.

It was supposedly restored in the 80's and then in the 90's put into storage till a few years ago.

I will find more wrong with it.

DSCF6875.JPG

DSCF6860.JPG

DSCF6908.JPG

DSCF6905.JPG

Very cool.
I am considering moving to europe and importing a barracuda (automatic) to convert it to RHD but the complications of finding RHD parts made it impractical . Could you post some pictures when it's finished. Much appreciated.
Thanks .

And i thought i was a hack….
Good you found it and making it solid again.
I consider myself to be a pretty good cutter, welder, fabricator, etc. But then I watch shows like Bitchin Rides where I see te work of TRUE artists, and I feel like a hack.

View attachment 1715857103

View attachment 1715857104

View attachment 1715857105

View attachment 1715857100

There's probably less than 10 '66 Barracuda's in the UK? no one would buy it and it'll cost too much to ship abroad to be worth while.
WOW! I am impressed. I would think the dash and steering wheel/column would be the easiest part. The steering parts, steering linkage and pedals would, I would think, be the hardest. For example, can LHD parts like the steering link, idler arm, and steering box be altered to fit a RHD setup?

View attachment 1715857103

View attachment 1715857104

View attachment 1715857105

View attachment 1715857100

Looks like a Long reach to shift and the passenger side looks a little tight. Noticed the steering wheel is a little more to the center than a left hand drive. Just my observations.

WOW! I am impressed. I would think the dash and steering wheel/column would be the easiest part. The steering parts, steering linkage and pedals would, I would think, be the hardest. For example, can LHD parts like the steering link, idler arm, and steering box be altered to fit a RHD setup?

it wont swap over which is why i'm changing it to a steering rack.

I did lots of measuring for bump steer etc and found that on a slight lock bump steer increases dramatically because the box and idler arm sit at an angle effectively changing the height of the position of the steering joints. With a rack it is linear so a better option even if the bits would have swapped over.

Looks like a Long reach to shift and the passenger side looks a little tight. Noticed the steering wheel is a little more to the center than a left hand drive. Just my observations.

The dash is absolutely symmetrical. It's the transmission tunnel being offset makes it look offset. The engine and transmission don't sit centrally.

The seats are in a symmetrical position so will align with the steering wheel.

the Gold car having a 4 speed means there is loads of room between the floor and 'box so i will modify the floor around the clutch pedal when the time comes. The Blue car being auto has much less room but as there isn't a clutch pedal to worry about it doesn't need modifying.

-
Back