Rear 8.75 drum swap

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
General question. If I swap backing plates and hardware will it change diff width. Like going from a 1.75 to 2 or 3 inch drum. I’m trying to change to an easier to get drum. Don’t want rear disk. The front is 11 inch disk. Craig

I believe BUT do not know for fact, the backing plates will have the depth compensation if you were to go from 10 x 1.75 to 10 x 2 etc. so the overall width will not change

Note: there is a spacing difference from bearing to wheel mounting flange from real A body axles vs cut down B,C,E body axles

I believe BUT do not know for fact, the backing plates will have the depth compensation if you were to go from 10 x 1.75 to 10 x 2 etc. so the overall width will not change

Note: there is a spacing difference from bearing to wheel mounting flange from real A body axles vs cut down B,C,E body axles

Not swapping axles only brake stuff.

You didn't mention if you have large bolt pattern axles now. If not, you have to swap axles to big bolt pattern which are longer and have a different register to compensate for the larger drums.

Not swapping axles only brake stuff.
I understand, I was only pointing out because if you take brakes from a B or E body for instance and put them on an A-body housing with A-body axles there might be a dimensional mismatch due to the axle spacing (wheel mounting flange to bearing #1) As I understand it the A-body axle has a shorter dimension (#1) than the other body axles.
upload_2018-7-16_12-18-7.png

-
Back