Rear 9" Drum Problem

-

klumppm1

Reaction score
Hi all. Asking for some help regarding what could be the problem after changing shoes and all the springs, etc on my driver's side rear 9" brakes ('65 Valiant 170). Everything was put back correctly, but now I can not get the drum back on. It will not fit over the new shoes. I have checked, and know that all the new components are correct (size, etc.). The star adjuster is turned all the way in, and the shoes are in the right position. Could the parking brake have something to do with it (the tension was is released prior to starting work)? Maybe it is sticking? Please help.

Not fitting by a lot, or by a little?
As the drums age, they develop a ridge (the same Ridge that makes it a pain to get them off)
It may be hanging up on that

If it were me, I would pop the passenger side off and see if I can't find something out of whack
If the shoes are on backwards, I think that places the springs off center and forced the shoes open
(I know you said they are all on right, but I've known myself long enough to know if there is a problem with my car, it may be the loose nut behind the wheel)

I've had the auto tensioner way off before. Adjusted it too far out and after an hour finally saw the issue. I felt pretty retarded then. Maybe something that simple???

Been a long time, but I think I had a car that had the parking brake adjusted with worn shoes and then when I put new shoes on I had the same/similar problem.

Are you S U R E the brake hardware is correct?????????? The pre - 1968 Brake Hardware is V E R Y different from 1969 & up --- and is NOT available through
"regular channels" (i.e. parts stores, etc., etc.)
I have N.O.S. ++ 100 % CORRECT ++ Brake Hardware for Pre-1968 6 cylinder = 9" Brakes -- as well as N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Front & Rear Brake Shoes --
which you would be much advised to use anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back to Auto Zone, and after some research, found that the new shoes were diferent than what should have been in the box. The wrong ones had the stopping surface glued on instead of rivited onto the metal shoes. They were just a little to thick so the drum would not go back on. Auto Zone swapped them for the correct ones, and now I have working brakes. Thanks for all the comments, and help.

The SAD part is ------ you still have garbage in there ---- when you can have the N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++Brake Shoes -- that I have, which are
very inexpensive, and I am here in Long Island, New York......

-
Back