Rear Air in a 68 Valiant

-

slantflat

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

What is "Rear Air" in a 68 Valiant? I went to pick up my latest Val this week, the seller drove it on the trailer for me, and when I got home and went to take it off the trailer, I heard a fan going, from the back seat. Odd. A little snooping around found a slit in the package shelf maybe 15" long, with a fan behind it. There's a chrome, two position(three including off) switch under the dash that says REAR AIR on it. I saw the switch earlier, but didn't think much of it. Thought it might have been for a map light or something.

Anyway, I got a handful of receipts with the car and a couple of them are for air conditioning service. This puzzles me because there is no compressor under the hood, the AC panel inside is the standard one, there are no vents under the dash, but the crank pulley has three grooves. Alt, power steering, empty. Would someone have gone to the trouble of a total conversion to non-air? Was the Rear Air actually a rear defrost? My Oldsmobile has a fan like this on the package shelf, and it's a defroster.

It's been awhile since I've read the 68 Owners Manual, so I really have no clue. Any ideas? Not a bad car so far, it will be that much more interesting to know what is up with this fan.

Yeah, what moparmat said. Just a blower to clear the back window.Optional.My 72 Satellite had one.
Sounds like it did have air at one time. Back when we were teens a kid I knew bought a 340 4 speed Demon with factory air. First thing he did was yank it out.Hot Rods/cars didn't have air,,we just wanted to go fast.Young & dumb !!

Thanks guys. Never knew the Valiant had that option. Pretty cool.

It could have been real rear air, like on an Imperial. Maybe not.

-
Back