Rear axle adjuster on left side??

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
My axel adjuster is on the left side. To my understanding this is wrong. The rear is a 71 duster 8 3/4 in my 65 barracuda. After fixing the reverse wheel hop issue i noticed a slight vibration at about 3000 rpm and up. The axels do have more end play than they should have almost .020. I know it should be about. 006. I am thinking who ever put the rear in the car goofed.

You're right. The factory service manual says the adjuster is on the passengers side. It's spec'd to have a (.007-.017") end play. Make sure it has the locking pawl to secure it's final position, also.

I wouldn't think it really matters which side it's on. Assuming all the parts are there and are functioning correctly it would still work, wouldn't it?

That is incorrect. Someone has assembled it wrong. While it "may" not matter, I am not sure of that, so if it was my car, as little work as it is, I would change it.

The reason the adjuster is put on the right side instead of the left is because the adjuster would not loosen up if somehow the lock tang was to break or be accidentally left off. The adjuster would tend to want to turn in the direction of axle rotation. If it was on the left side, that would be counter clockwise and it might loosen up without the tang in place. On the right side it would tend to want to turn clockwise which would tighten.

Too tight or too loose, they're both bad. That's why there is that tang/pawl. Leaving it off, or leaving it loose is just as bad as leaving the cotter pin out of the front wheel bearing nut(s). Either way, you'll lose a wheel eventually.

I thought my thoughts were correct. Who knows how long it has been that way. I have had the car 14 yrs and never had a reason to look until now. Thanks for the conformation and reasons.

Too tight or too loose, they're both bad. That's why there is that tang/pawl. Leaving it off, or leaving it loose is just as bad as leaving the cotter pin out of the front wheel bearing nut(s). Either way, you'll lose a wheel eventually.

I understand that, but if you HAD to have one or the other, which is it? Besides, just turning with axle rotation won't be enough to tighten to the point of damage, yet on the left side it could loosen up all the way. So one is definitely worse.

I have taken a few apart with the adjuster on the drivers side. They were cars that never had any work done to them, nii oh t even at the dealer. Who knows it could be somebody building them screwing around. Kim

I'd keep things as they are. For the adjuster to 'turn out' the tang/lock must break first and then the outer race of the axle bearing must spin in the housing. This would happen going forward, only.

I have taken a few apart with the adjuster on the drivers side. They were cars that never had any work done to them, nii oh t even at the dealer. Who knows it could be somebody building them screwing around. Kim

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TH stock 66 belvedere 8 3/4 I had in the old hemi car ,came w/ it on the drivers side from the factory, was there until we went w/ the dana 60 , we ran more than .017 play too.

I apologize for the jack, were can we get that part? my project came with that part that was rusted too far

-
Back