Rear Axle or Gear Confusion

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO, sorry this is not specifically for an A Body but it's MOPAR nonetheless.

1975 Trailduster, 3.55 suregrip, 2WD.

I had the rear end off the ground working on the brakes. When I put the wheels back on, I noticed that I can move (turn) the wheels about 1/4" before the driveshaft yoke starts spinning. I can hear and feel it when the yoke starts to turn, it has a little bump then it starts moving. I can see directly through the wheel well to the yoke, so I can see exactly when it starts to turn.

Is this a symptom of bad bearings or something in the ring gear, or something else all together? Or, is that normal?

Thanks for any replies.

My 67 dart does the same thing but it has 321,000 miles on the rear.

1975 Trailduster, 3.55 suregrip, 2WD.
>If you're SureGrip is working, and it is a clutch-type, this may or may not NOT be normal.
> If your SureGrip is a Cone-Type, and working, this is probably normal.
> but if it is NOT a SureGrip, or it is a worn-out Cone-type, then;
What you are feeling is the pinion gears climbing up and down the cross-pin; and .25inch of wheel-travel is actually very good and nothing to worry about.

>If you're SureGrip is working, and it is a clutch-type, this may or may not NOT be normal.
> If your SureGrip is a Cone-Type, and working, this is probably normal.
> but if it is NOT a SureGrip, or it is a worn-out Cone-type, then;
What you are feeling is the pinion gears climbing up and down the cross-pin; and .25inch of wheel-travel is actually very good and nothing to worry about.
Ok great, thanks for the info.

It’s probably a 9 1/4 rear. Dodge had a shim kit to put on the spiders that go on each end of the pin in an open diff. I can’t remember if u replaced them with thicker ones or they were missing and u had to add them. But like said it’s probably normal wear for the mikes it has. I have seen the axle splines worn. Kim

-
Back