Rear Bumper Odd Question.

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am installing a new rear bumper on my 1973 scamp. The previous one was bent inward an inch or two. I tried to fit the old bumper mounts to the new bumper. The mounts are bent too far to fit. I found some replacements on Ebay. But,,, Has anyone just used the outer 2 bolt mount holes on each side of the car to hold the bumper. What I mean is cut the mount to only have the 2 holes that mount to the car and the 2 that connect to the bumper on each side.

I understand that it would not be crashworthy but neither would fiberglass ones. I figure I could save 20-30 lbs or more. Just a thought that I am considering.

There are 6 bolts IIRC on the rear bumper.

Are you talking about only using the outer most two mounts?

Lingenfelter makes aluminum brackets for steel and glass bumpers. I have them on my car and they fit perfectly.

Yes, cutting the mounts on the orange line and using the outer part only. Any pics of the mounts either before or after mounting them? Are the aluminum ones strong enough for holding a steel bumper? Info on ordering them?
mount cuts.jpg

Yes, cutting the mounts on the orange line and using the outer part only. Any pics of the mounts either before or after mounting them? Are the aluminum ones strong enough for holding a steel bumper? Info on ordering them?
View attachment 1715810442

Yes, the aluminum ones are good to go for a steel bumper. He sells to thicknesses.

PM @motorhead446 for brackets. He did have a website but I don't see it.

Quick follow up. I received the used mounts and decided to try my hairbrained idea on my bent ones. The cuts were easy with a sawzall. When I mounted the bumper it just did not look correct. Perhaps the mount was just bent too much. The bumper flexed in the middle. I decided it was not worth the weight savings and I am prepping the used ones for the bumper. I am fixing some paint on the rear before assembly tomorrow.
IMG-2119.jpg

-
Back