rear cam plug

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i went to install my cam and noticed that the plug is not in the back. I have it, but i wanted to be sure that i put it in the correct way. The outside of the plug is tapered. I am assuming that the smaller side of the plug goes into the block first, but wanted to double check as the book says if this is bumped during the cam installation it will result in a major oil leak.

Also, my book says that earlier small blocks had a tab that is bolted onto the thrust plate to lubricate the roller chain, while later blocks have a bolt with a hole in it to provide lubrication. My block is a 68 and i assume that it would have the tab. If this is the case, in the last 6 years since i disassembled the engine, i have lost this tab and need to get a replacement. I have not had any luck looking for one. Does anyone know where i can get one?

Thank you.
Steve

The cam plugs I am familiar with are dished flat discs, (concave). To install you put the plug in so the middle of the plug is crested towards the outside of the block, then take a large socket and beat the middle of the plug down so its more or less flat, thereby expanding the plug into the recess. After that take some jb weld and put a healthy smear around the edge of the plug where it fits into the block from the outside. Let the JB weld cure and you are done.

On the oiler - your block probably had the hollow bolt, but the tab thing works fine as well. This is a junkyard or dealer part every small block built in the last 30 years had one of these. Someone here might have one laying around to send you as well. Post on the want ads section on this site, and I bet someone will have it !

Good luck !

ok, thanks alot. I am assuming now that the machine shop that did the block work was not sure of what plug to use. They gave me one like you described, and one that is more similar to a soft plug. I will put the concave one in then. Hopefully i can manage to get it in correctly while the engine is on the stand. If not then maybe once i get it on a hoist and off the stand will work?

I checked the bolts and not one of them has a hole in it. also refrenced a picture from taking it apart and it did not have the oil tab. Must be the last guy that built it must have lost/not realized it.

Thanks alot!!

I would not try to install the cam plug until you have a clear swing at it with the hammer and socket, It doesnt take a lot of power just some judicious use of force, which you probably cant get with the stand in the way. The JB weld will need some time to cure as well depending on how warm the assembly is, read the instructions for more detail on cure conditions.

have fun !

-
Back