rear defroster in 1969 valiant

-

sketch

Reaction score
1969 valiant that has been pretty much gutted on the inside. the rear package tray has a slit for a rear defroster but there is not vent. There is also no hose. Anyone have any idea what i should be looking for to see if this is something i can bring back to life or should i just buy a new package tray without the slit?? i can't find a switch for rear defroster anywhere in the cluster. There is an anolog clock where the manual says a button or switch would be. Like, how can i tell if the current defroster/air is something that would accommodate it? what hoses or connections should i be looking for?

thanks in advance.
tray 2.jpg

tray.jpg

Package trays don't come with the defrost vent cut out. You do that yourself with a really fine jewelry saw.

Pm me. I'll walk you thru it. :)
no, as picture shows, the hole is already cut to accommodate one. I am looking for all the parts (hoses, motor, switch, etc.) I can't wrap my mind around how a hose would go there and how would it get to the heater/defroster.

The rear defrost is just a blower motor. It gets its fresh air from the passenger side speaker hole. No heating element in the units. The cardboard package tray I doubt is cut out. But I could be wrong. You will need a package tray for stereo speakers or just cut out the passenger side hole & use a speaker grill.

Look at my photo. The blower motor is bolted to the passenger side speaker opening.

Look at my photo. The blower motor is bolted to the passenger side speaker opening.
got it. as you can see from my picture, there are two speaker holes on each side (standard 6X9 and then some weird triangle hole, on both sides) and the slit where i would hook the hose/vent

Any idea what the triangle holes and the additional holes that are not the 6x9 speaker hole or for the defroster?

-
Back