Rear defroster question

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing the rear defroster and I really don't want to get rid of one of my 6x9 speakers in the back to install it. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to run longer studs through one of the speakers and just install the blower motor below the speaker? The draw back would be the air intake would be coming from inside of the trunk instead of pulling the air from the interior. I don't have a rear battery so the risk of outgassing isn't there but I'm not sure if enough exhaust gets back there to render it unsafe to install that way. I do remember riding in trunks all the time as a kid so it can't be that unsafe right? :D

Here is a picture of a correctly installed rear defroster that I found from another member on here for reference.

reardefrost2-medium-jpg.jpg

Cars with the defogger & dual rear speakers had an adapter bracket / plenum that allowed the incoming air to move past one speaker.

What car is that? The later Dusters had it on the diagonal bracket just below that, with a poorly cut hole in the cardboard divider.

Alaskan TA mentioned....

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30486.jpg

What car is that? The later Dusters had it on the diagonal bracket just below that, with a poorly cut hole in the cardboard divider.

Alaskan TA mentioned....

View attachment 1715494801

I don't know what kind of car it is. It's just a random picture I found.

Thanks for the picture. Just did some research on it and those are definitely rare. Too expensive to buy. I could make one fairly quickly out of wood but that's kind of janky. Could make one out of sheet metal but that would be another project added on top of 50 others I have going on at the moment. Decisions decisions.

Wound up making my own adapter box. Still need to get it wired up but it doesnt look too bad for my first ever fabrication project. You almost can't even see it unless you stick your head in the trunk.

20200409_155426.jpg

20200409_155440.jpg

20200409_163105.jpg

20200411_173655.jpg

E bodies could be ordered with these as an option
Classic or another vendor has/used to have these

Yeah I think they're on there for about $185 but I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on something that's just kinda cool but not necessary for the car. It wound up costing me about $20 in sheet metal from Lowes. I basically just did it to see if I could fabricate something. Figured I'd do it on a project that's fairly well hidden. I'd do quite a few things differently if I had to do it again.

Well done! What car is that?

Thanks man it's a 71 Duster. The rear tray has the cut out in it for the rear defogger vent but it doesn't have some of the stamped holes for the support brackets. Normally there's a support bracket for the end of the box where the motor is so I just designed the box in a way to where the 10-24 machine screws just go all the way through the box and through the speaker on the bottom which gives it all the support it needs so it's not hanging from the sheet metal alone. The box needed to be shimmed down just a little bit to keep it from hitting the torsion bars in the trunk.

-
Back