Rear Diff

-

dusmon

Reaction score
What is everyone using for a rear housing That is running 10.80s or faster. As mine went bang. I had a 8 3/4 with 4.56 richmind gears spool and axles 489 case. Rear end is back braced as well.

Attachments

• 20140809_135234.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 288
Most folks run a dana 60 for 10's and faster. Me personally, I have a Moser MO875 fabricated housing with a backbrace...3200-3250 lbs (not really sure), foot-brake car, mid 10's in the 1/4. If I ever break this one, I'll probably move to a dana. Heavy cars, and trans brakes kill 8 3/4 rears...if you are light weight and foot-brake it will probably last for years.

well....I had a 8 3/4 that twisted the housing...it was not braced in our 71 Dart. It now has a Dana 60 basically cause the ring gear had some chipped teeth also...so money wise yes the Dana cost more up front...but should last that car for the rest of its life...

take two

71 duster with only a year of racing on it...twisted the housing...no back bracing...I bought a Moser FAB 875 cause the 3rd member is pretty new and wanted to get some use out of it....

the 8 3/4 is going to have ring and pinion problems sooner or later...I think the smart thing to do is just replace the R&P ever so many years and don’t wait for it to break....

If that ring gear broke with you were in 1st gear...better check the sprag in the trans...especially if it a 727...otherwise it will go boom....

Dr Diff has an new case that is suppose to be stronger with Forged caps...

If that ring gear broke with you were in 1st gear...better check the sprag in the trans...especially if it a 727...otherwise it will go boom....[/QUOTE]

Yes the sprag is out as well Im running a A-998 trans with a TCS 9" convevter.

Dana's aren't indestructible, close tho! A friend has broken gearsets, in different cars, over the years. He seems to be doing something that most other people don't do and I think it's the on/off/on finish line racing tactic, he prefers.

yeah all that bein said, i knew a guy with a 4700lbs pickup with big block chevy & fogger it would blow out dana 60's

a 2800 lbs car will be easier on rears than a 3885 lbs car... so there are lots of factors

yeah all that bein said, i knew a guy with a 4700lbs pickup with big block chevy & fogger it would blow out dana 60's

a 2800 lbs car will be easier on rears than a 3885 lbs car... so there are lots of factors

Yes the diff still had a crush sleeve and not the crush sleeve eliminator, could be the reason. I dont know about the history on the diff as well

-
Back