Rear disc brake conversion

-

72demon96

Reaction score
Hello I bought a 8 3/4 and was waiting to put disc brakes on it. What company has a kit the work with 14 inch raylle rims and since I have disc on the front what master cylinder should I use.
Thanks

I used the 10.7 kit from Dr Diff. :rolleyes:

20160723_223338.jpg

I won't suggest a MC. Too many variables with not knowing your car. That's homework you need to do yourself.

98 era Grand Cherokee... I didnt use the E-Brake portion but it wouldnt have been to difficult. I read a few posts that made it sound alot harder to do than it was.
I used a spacer under disc hat to align rotor to calipers...cost me about 15$ if I remember.

I didn't think you could use the Cheerokee set up from an 8 1/4 as a direct bolt onto an 8 3/4?

Is the Cherokee a 8 1/4 ? I used a Grand Cherokee rear disc set up and installed them on a 8 3/4...
works great !

I rheemed out the hole in the caliper bracket a smidgen with a die grinder to allow the axle bearing to pass thru and drilled out the 5th backing plate stud hole on the caliper bracket. I have green bearings on Moser axles but I dont think that matters.... ideally I would have pressed the bearings off the axles , slid the brackets on and repressed bearings back on.

The Cheerokee is an 8 1/4 and the backing plate mount is 2" or so back from the end of the axle tube. The 8 3/4 has it flush with the outside.

I am not sure what size axles Jeeps use...
But the brakes came from a 98 Grand Cherikee not a Cherokee if that makes a difference.. all I know is that when I push on the Big Horizontal pedal my car stops ....

Doctor Diff! Cass is the man.

And, his kit is one of only a couple that work with the original style tapered bearings. It does make a difference, and most of the kits you see must be used with green bearings, they aren't compatible with the tapered bearing and adjuster.

I already had axles with green bearings so things worked out. Im still not sure if I can visualize the reasons behind why it wont work with the adjuster. But I havent put much effort into researching it.

With the stock tapered bearing and adjuster the adjuster moves the whole axle in and out, so, the rotor moves in and out depending on the adjuster. The caliper has to compensate for the adjustment on the rotor location.

98 era Grand Cherokee... I didnt use the E-Brake portion but it wouldnt have been to difficult. I read a few posts that made it sound alot harder to do than it was.
I used a spacer under disc hat to align rotor to calipers...cost me about 15$ if I remember.
Do you have pics this is the set up I've been looking for

-
Back