Rear Disc Brake Conversion

-

Texas69dart340

Reaction score
I think I am going to do a disc brake swap on the rear. I have an 8 3/4 rear and was leaning towards Doctordiffs rear disc brake setup. I talked to him (Cass) on the phone today. Very knowledable. I think I am going to order them on Friday. (I bought the axles from him last month.) Anybody else use these brakes on their car? How about the Kit summit sells. I want to retain the parking brake. Let me know what yall think of these brakes.

I bought my axles from Cass also, but my rear discs are a Master Power kit. I have not installed them yet. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the MP kit, Cass would have been my next choice.

Since at least 80 percent of all your braking comes from the front brakes, unless you already have the parts, I'd concentrate my money and efforts on the front discs (hopefully the '73-'76 A body LBP discs - - available in police package / Cordoba 11.75" diameter heavy duty rotors).

Several members have also gone to a Ford Explorer rear disc setup.

I'm putting '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee rear disc's on an 8 3/4 for the barracuda. Haven't driven it yet but it all bolts on, clears 15 inch wheels...

Since at least 80 percent of all your braking comes from the front brakes, unless you already have the parts, I'd concentrate my money and efforts on the front discs (hopefully the '73-'76 A body LBP discs - - available in police package / Cordoba 11.75" diameter heavy duty rotors).

I have upgraded all the front already to 73 spindles and tubular uppers. I just having issues with the rear brakes and want to switch to Disc. I heard about the explorer rear brakes but the ones Cass sells are all new parts and Just a phone call away. I was wanting to hear all the pro's and cons of the different disc brakes that are out there.

I'm putting '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee rear disc's on an 8 3/4 for the barracuda. Haven't driven it yet but it all bolts on, clears 15 inch wheels...

Did you have to fab up any brackets? Is it a straight up bolt up?

Its basically a direct bolt on...
You have to drill one hole in the caliper bracket.
An 8 3/4 has a 5 bolt flange and the jeep caliper bracket has a 4-bolt flange. You have to drill a hole for the very bottom flange bolt. The other 4 are a perfect match.
I went to a junk yard, found a jeep with rear disc, removed everything, spent 25$ at the junk yard. Went home drilled the hole in the caliper bracket, mocked everything up, put on a wheel and tire and everything cleared.

I should mention I have not figured out the emergency brake. I don't think it will be that hard. Just need to get a cable made that is long enough and has the right ends for the jeep ebrake. I may not even mess with ebrakes too.

Its basically a direct bolt on...
You have to drill one hole in the caliper bracket.
An 8 3/4 has a 5 bolt flange and the jeep caliper bracket has a 4-bolt flange. You have to drill a hole for the very bottom flange bolt. The other 4 are a perfect match.
I went to a junk yard, found a jeep with rear disc, removed everything, spent 25$ at the junk yard. Went home drilled the hole in the caliper bracket, mocked everything up, put on a wheel and tire and everything cleared.

I should mention I have not figured out the emergency brake. I don't think it will be that hard. Just need to get a cable made that is long enough and has the right ends for the jeep ebrake. I may not even mess with ebrakes too.

That Sounds like a good plan. I might hit up a few junk yards this weekend.
What are the years of Grand Cherokee that are interchangable? 93 to 97?

I'm not forcertian what years are interchangable, I want to say look around 96-99.

I know there was a post earlier this spring talking about using jeep brakes on the rears, but it could have been on moparts too??? Thats how I got the idea.

I'm not forcertian what years are interchangable, I want to say look around 96-99.

I know there was a post earlier this spring talking about using jeep brakes on the rears, but it could have been on moparts too??? Thats how I got the idea.

I will look for it. Thanks for all your Help

How about the explorer brakes if jeep brakes can't be had. What are the years to look for on explorer brakes? What about the mods for that? I am looking for the jeep brakes still. I found a few explorers around. Thanks!

I hear alot people say " use the grand cherokee brakes", but I never see any pics, so does anyone have any?

we had a jeep liberty, and they looked like a canidate for a rear disc swap to an 8 3/4, but never new of any one that tried,,

very kool it will save you some bucks,,are the jeep calipers E BRAKE or does the jeep use a drum for the E BRAKE??

I've never seen any pics either or heard any reports on how they work.

Currently my rearend is at a shop getting rebuilt when its back I'll take alot of pictures and post them.

I went ahead and ordered the rear disc conversion from Doctordiff (Cass). I ordered them with the parking brake cables. I will take pictures when the arrive and when I install them. Thanks all.

I am interested in looking at the rear disc brakes from a jeep. That could be cool and cheap.

Please post some pics, or send me some directly if you have the time.

Thanks

Phil

I have the Jeep rear disk conversion on two mopars so far and am looking for a couple more sets.

I just removed a set yesterday and crushed the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited a couple hours ago. Paid $300.00 for the Jeep, removed the disks and got my money back from the crusher so it didn't cost me hardly anything. It's too bad someone around here couldn't have used the drivetrain, it ran strong/great even after I removed the rear brakes!

p1000277g.jpg

project6c.jpg

project4j.jpg

project2r.jpg

p1000185x.jpg

p1000187c.jpg

p1000194.jpg

Having a little fun before it gets turned into a soup can or Honda product.

p1000279.jpg

ANYWAYS...

The first time I did the conversion, it was on my Plymouth Duster when I upgraded from the 7.25" rear to an 8.25" unit with a Trac_Lok clutch style limited slip differential and 3.55:1 gears.

dsc03320r.jpg

dsc03305y.jpg

dsc03301k.jpg

dusterrearaxle1.jpg

undercar.jpg

dsc03433wa.jpg

dsc03430tn.jpg

rear2.jpg

project3t.jpg

The second time I did it on an 8-3/4" rear end.
I don't have any pictures handy of that one, but I'll get some.

-
Back