rear disc brakes on 8 3/4

-
unfortunately i bought my axles from mopar madness on ebay approx 6 or 7 years ago. if i remember right they use yukon axles. don't know the exact measurments. don't even remember any conversations.

well, do you know how much off set i have to measure?
Again BBP axles i have with redrilled drums from my previous stock sbp axles

I bought my caliper adapters from a Canadian member who makes them and sourced calipers, rotors and hoses from Rock Auto. The axles (which I already had) are LBP with tapered bearings. This is very similar to the Dr Diff mustangs based kit.

72bluNblu ,
very good Point. Didn't know about that off set. but can't be that much. It is working this way since 3 years. But you are right. I saw that the linings are not centered in the drums. One reason more to Change it to discs. :)
ok, got yukon BBP axles and green bearings already.

mguner,
you did that swap? Parts list, sources etc?

74DartSwinger360,
did you ask right stuff where to buy pads and discs?

Yeah I posted it here a few times. I can't remember what brake lines I used but they were a common part as well. Speedway motors has braided line kits and banjo fittings along with the weld on caliper brackets and line mount tabs. The Intrepid calipers are a perfect fit to the loaded GM metrics with E-brake and are tight on the 8.75 axle flange which may require just a little taken off the flange or the inside of the rotor hat. If your studs have much of a shoulder you may have to counter bore the lug holes in the rotor too (5/8 or 9/16 bit).

This is the kit I bought on ebay.

Direct bolt on and badd *** stopping power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mopar-8-3-4...ash=item35af5fe3d4:g:JNgAAOSwnipWXf0a&vxp=mtr

Bruce

Yet another kit (and Right Stuff's kit is the same) with those junk 79-85 Olds Toronado rear calipers. If you do some research on those you'll find pretty much everyone has issues eventually with them adjusting correctly (which is a function of setting the parking brake on them), and sometimes getting a low pedal.

In addition they have significantly higher slide force due to the slide design since they are just the old school "metric" gm calipers in a general term. Why use stuff that wasn't that great 30 years ago?

The Mustang Cobra parts used in the Dr. Diff Kit are pretty much bulletproof by comparison. Unlikely to have issues of any kind with adjustment, have captured slide pins which is basically identical to what you'd find on a brand new car from today. They are also a much higher performing piece as you can get pretty much any pad you want for them.

were to buy discs and pads for Service in here Germany? what car for originally if pads are for Ford cobra? or only avail at Dr. Diff?

Its funny how we'll pay anything to go fast, but to stop we want cheap. This is hilarious to me. Anyway, The dr diff/ford based setup is the best thing going without stepping into fixed caliper territory. I wouldn't touch any of the kits that use that crappy Cadillac caliper that sucked when they were new - junk. Same with any kit that uses a multipiece bracket. The Ford based stuff uses a one piece billet bracket and a very common caliper. As far as stopping is concerned the rest of the system needs to be dialed in regarding bias and enough line pressure. Most people are disappointed with 4 wheel discs because of this . I run the ford 11.75 setup in the rear and 14.25" fronts and the braking is breathtaking even in track conditions. My advise is don't cheap out on something that could save your life.

the one Piece bracket was the first Thing hitting my eyes. is it just drdiff doing this?

again, if it Comes to Service i don't want to ship 40 Pounds of steel to europe. best would be if those discs and pads are from cars available in europe too.

The ford caliper can be used with 2 sized rotors depending on the wheel used. For 15s a modified Toyota rotor is used (10" diameter). For 17s an 11.75" rotor is used - straight from a 90s Cobra. The pads are available anywhere.

I'm glad GMachineDartGT and I are in agreement, I feel the same way about cheap vs good.

IIRC the exact application for the brakes is a 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra. I'm not sure if those were sold in Europe (probably not), but here in the states, the basic service parts are seriously easy to get and actually quite cheap. Chances are EBC can send them to you since they are out of the UK and bypass buying them in the USA and having them shipped.

Some here changed to a Ford Explorer rear-end, since a cheaper way to get more ruggedness than a Mopar 8.75". That gives you disk brakes as a side benefit, with easy to source parts in the future. Problem is you must cut and re-weld one side tube and get a second shorter axle. Many posts w/ photos. Not suggesting it, but just think long-term plans.

Dr diff.
The kit is well designed and simple to install, so easy that my wife put them on.
Pads are easy to get and the handbrake is on the caliper, also he does the handbrake cables that fit perfectly with no mods. It's a true bolt on kit.

On my small bolt set up the Cressida rotor needed a internal spacer as the center hole is larger that the stock size.

Toyota Cressida is equal to Toyota Camry?
hope this Mustang was also made for the european market :)

do you guys think DrDiff sells just the bracket? Because shipping 30 or more LBS is not really cheap...

hm,

Wikipedia ( geman ) says they are very similar. anyway, it Looks like i can't get discs and Mustang calipers here in geramy. especially without knowing specific Dates and measurments :(

My setup uses the caliper adapters from Dodgedifferent2 and 1994 through about 2004 Mustang rotors and calipers. I would think Those ought to be available in Germany. The only mod is the rotor center had to be opened 40 thou to clear the center hub on my BBP axles with tapered bearings.

are all Mustang 4 discs the same in the rear?

@ dodgedifferent: do you machine those brackets in one Piece like the DrDiff brackets?

are all Mustang 4 discs the same in the rear?

@ dodgedifferent: do you machine those brackets in one Piece like the DrDiff brackets?

They come as a two piece unit so they can be adjusted for the A body axle flange or the regular flange. The one piece unit is not adjustable so it cannot be adapted.
As far as i knew Dr diff still uses the green bearings and it's two piece, but I stopped watching most brake threads

-
Back