Rear disc swap increases width?!

-
We just put these disks on a 67 GT Vert we are putting together and the didks measure .250" at stud hole while the drums were about .075" but hard to measure because there is a flare at edge so less than a 1/4" per side.

brakes.jpg

reardisk.jpg

The 8.75 B-body (shortened) axles stick out slightly further too. That's why mine were 3/8" per side (I guess?).

Funny , because I used Cass's parts too, and he told me it was going to make it 1/4"-3/8" wider per side, depending on what brakes you use. You are going to a wider B-body brake if you are using drums, therefore longer axles are needed. And discs make it even wider due to the thickness at the hub face.

I never measured width with just bare axles to compare his to factory but the brakes alone, at least our it add less than 1/4 per side, might have to call the Dr about axle width over stock.

A-body 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern conversion axles increase the track width 1/4" per side compared to the original 5 x 4" bolt pattern axles.

A typical rear rotor increases the track width an additional 1/8" per side compared to the thickness of a brake drum.

A-body 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern conversion axles increase the track width 1/4" per side compared to the original 5 x 4" bolt pattern axles.

A typical rear rotor increases the track width an additional 1/8" per side compared to the thickness of a brake drum.
Where is the 1/4" width from, longer distance from bearing to wheel mounting surface or flange thickness?

The distance from the wheel bearing to the outside edge of the axle flange measures an additional 1/4" compared to 5 x 4" bolt pattern axles.

Axle flange offset is different BBP to SBP, as seen here. The difference is roughly the width of the axle flange. BBP axle on top, SBP axle on bottom.

bbp-axle-shafts-jpg.1714959149

-
Back