Rear Drum Brake Help

-

Tim.g.howard

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
First, please don't be too angry with me... I did search for a few weeks.

I bought a '63 Valiant Convertible /6 225 recently. It has drums all around but the Master Cylinder is spraying brake fluid all over the engine bay and the brakes are extra squishy. There's lot of other "opportunity" but this seemed like a reasonable priority. Looking around I can see that I can get a front disc bolt on conversion kit but a rear disc conversion requires welding. So I've been thinking to do a front disc conversion and leave the rear drums.

I was thinking to replace everything that I could (including the brake hardware). I took a look and the passenger rear adjuster seems frozen at maximum. There's also a spring rubbing on the wheel cylinder (see photo). This doesn't look right... and I suspect that someone did what I was contemplating which was to try to find a 9" drum hardware kit that was "close".

So here's the question... I can't seem to find any parts shops that sell the springs and hardware kit for a '63 Valiant. Can they be that "unique"? Can I switch to a different 9" drum more easily than converting to disk? Also while I was down there I realized that my actual first priority may be the suspension instead. I realize that's another thread but any quick hints as to where to find Rear Springs would be appreciated.
29FBA602-9690-4BB9-8341-A5F95342E901_1_201_a.jpeg

Thanks,

Tim

First, please don't be too angry with me... I did search for a few weeks.

I bought a '63 Valiant Convertible /6 225 recently. It has drums all around but the Master Cylinder is spraying brake fluid all over the engine bay and the brakes are extra squishy. There's lot of other "opportunity" but this seemed like a reasonable priority. Looking around I can see that I can get a front disc bolt on conversion kit but a rear disc conversion requires welding. So I've been thinking to do a front disc conversion and leave the rear drums.

I was thinking to replace everything that I could (including the brake hardware). I took a look and the passenger rear adjuster seems frozen at maximum. There's also a spring rubbing on the wheel cylinder (see photo). This doesn't look right... and I suspect that someone did what I was contemplating which was to try to find a 9" drum hardware kit that was "close".

So here's the question... I can't seem to find any parts shops that sell the springs and hardware kit for a '63 Valiant. Can they be that "unique"? Can I switch to a different 9" drum more easily than converting to disk? Also while I was down there I realized that my actual first priority may be the suspension instead. I realize that's another thread but any quick hints as to where to find Rear Springs would be appreciated.
View attachment 1715889656
Thanks,

Tim
Ok, I also notice that clearly I'm missing the "Hold Down" spring for the rear shoe. I've searched Rock Auto, Summit Racing, many others... Any advice welcome.

Google brakes in a box. A company that specializes in drum brakes.
They may have what you need. Also Rock Auto should have 9'' drum hardware kits and shoes.

Google brakes in a box. A company that specializes in drum brakes.
They may have what you need. Also Rock Auto should have 9'' drum hardware kits and shoes.
Will any old 9" Drum kit work? When I look they say they don't carry anything compatible with my car.

Rock Auto Part # FHH 7037 9'' drum brake hardware kit
They have several brands kits this is the first on the list.

Keep the 9" brakes unless you are willing to go 10" rear brakes in the rear along with the front discs. You are missing one hold down spring, shoes are installed wrong (reversed), and spring touching the wheel cylinder is incorrectly installed. Nothing wrong with 9" brakes in a 6 cyl. car.

Rock Auto Part # FHH 7037 9'' drum brake hardware kit
They have several brands kits this is the first on the list.
That particular part says it fits Valiants from '65-'68... I wonder why they think it won't fit '63? Could it be the 5x4 bolt pattern? What else changed? Especially since it fit's a '63 dart.. Tempted to try anyway.

Keep the 9" brakes unless you are willing to go 10" rear brakes in the rear along with the front discs. You are missing one hold down spring, shoes are installed wrong (reversed), and spring touching the wheel cylinder is incorrectly installed. Nothing wrong with 9" brakes in a 6 cyl. car.
Thanks for the catch on the shoes being reversed. I hadn't caught that. Do you happen to know why I can't find brake hardware kits listed for a 63? Do you know if any other 9" Drum kits would work?

I'll probably spend the money to order the '65 kit and just compare the springs with what I've got. I don't really trust that I've got original equipment now that I see the mistakes made in there.

Yours has the early style shoe hold down springs I looked quickly on the internet for the big 4 auto parts suppliers, and none show the correct hardware kit. I will look further and maybe someone else may have a source.

Looks like the rest of the rear brake parts are available thru Autozone
433 shoes 29.99 set
33504 wheel cylinders 13.99 each
8191 rear drums 95.49 each
H7037 hardware kit 8.29 kit

I think it's time to stop throwing away rear 9 inch drums at that price it would pay to hoard them.

Thanks Everyone! I got the Raybestos H7037 hardware kit along with their adjuster kit. We'll see how well I do getting this installed.

MyMopar.com

Download factory service manual. If you year is not available try 1 year up or down or Plymouth

Use a blade type screwdriver down the inside of the hold-down spring to push the loop onto/off the " square" receiver sticking thru the backing plate.
Good luck .

The shoes are not reversed......they are the wrong shoes!! If you study the pic, the length of the lining is the same for each shoe. The lining on the front shoe should be shorter than the lining on the rear shoe. For all four wheels. Check all of the shoes, could have got mixed up.

Agree with 9" brakes. Unless you are going to be towing, racing or doing high speed driving, no need to change the braking system.

Cats eat till they barf.

The shoes are not reversed......they are the wrong shoes!! If you study the pic, the length of the lining is the same for each shoe. The lining on the front shoe should be shorter than the lining on the rear shoe. For all four wheels. Check all of the shoes, could have got mixed up.

Agree with 9" brakes. Unless you are going to be towing, racing or doing high speed driving, no need to change the braking system.
Good eye. I did not see that until you pointed it out.

As far as these old cars go you gotta read between the lines.
Don't have a listing for a 63 Valiant ? Look up a 63 Dart. The FHH 7037 is the same for both the Valiant and Dart.

As halfaxhops states above ^^^^,
I have absolutely everything for you and
N.O.S. U.S.A. made Front & Rear brake drums at much much less expensive than what is indicated above....
And, the Early 9" Brake Hardware --- I S --- very different than the later, and I have all of it , again, N.O.S. U.S.A. made.....
I have *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes for Front & Rear ---- the softest, smoooooothest braking system known to mankind, and they don't rip up the brake drums to smithereens, like this new garbage Chineseum will.....

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if you want perfection....
Yours, Craig......

Wasn't a 63 Dart a B body? I owned 62, 63 & 64 cars. These models were sold here as Plym Belv/Dodge Phoenix. Had 10" brakes.
Valiants were sold as Chrysler Valiant, starting around 1961. Had 9" brakes.

OK. So what 'body' would a 63-64 Plym Belvedere 4 door sedan be, 119" WB? Or 63-64 Dodge?

-
Back