Rear Drum Brake Help

-
Whoever did the last brake service should not be allowed to even put gas in a car.
Virtually everything is wrong, missing, installed incorrectly. 2 secondary shoes, hold down springs, return springs improper installed, self adjuste cable guide in wrong place, wheel cylinder also leaking. I would bet that the drum are also over machine to specs.
Here is a photo of what it should look like.
Get out your Factory Service Manual and most of your future questions will be answered.
Strip it to the backing plates and replace everything, might need to also service the rear wheel bearings

RIGHT REAR DRUM BRAKE DIAGRAM B BODY.jpg

The picture is an illustration. No difference in the way the brakes are assembled, only the overall shoes /backing plate size. 9", 10", 11" .
all look the same.

In 63 Plymouth and Dodge were full size cars and Valiant and Dart were Compact Cars, the letter body coding didn't come until later.

From a 1965 Factory Service Manual. Oldest I have.

Attachments

• 1965 REAR DRUM BRAKE DIAGRAMS.pdf
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 91
I owned 1958 -59 Custom Royals & 1960-61 Dodges. They all had the 'total contact' brakes, which were also called 'centre plane' brakes. They were 11", the front brakes were a twin leading shoe design with each brake shoe having it's own wheel cyl. Brake adjustment was done via a 7/16" hex adjuster. Very efficient brakes, but I guess too expensive, hence the move to Bendix brakes.

In 63 Plymouth and Dodge were full size cars and Valiant and Dart were Compact Cars, the letter body coding didn't come until later.
In '63, The Fury, Belvedere, and Savoy were B-bodies. In the Dodge line, the 880's were C-bodies, the rest were B-bodies.

OK. So what 'body' would a 63-64 Plym Belvedere 4 door sedan be, 119" WB? Or 63-64 Dodge?
The Plymouths in '63-4 were all B-bodies. The Dodge 880 series in '63-4 were C-bodies. The rest (330, 440, Polara's) were B-bodies.

Whoever did the last brake service should not be allowed to even put gas in a car.
Virtually everything is wrong, missing, installed incorrectly. 2 secondary shoes, hold down springs, return springs improper installed, self adjuste cable guide in wrong place, wheel cylinder also leaking. I would bet that the drum are also over machine to specs.
Here is a photo of what it should look like.
Get out your Factory Service Manual and most of your future questions will be answered.
Strip it to the backing plates and replace everything, might need to also service the rear wheel bearings

View attachment 1715890755
Agreed, what the OP has is a real mess. Originally, the '63 A-bodies didn't come with self-adjusters. If you want to have them, just order a brake setup for a later model that does. If you want the stock setup, it will probably be a bit tougher to find all the proper parts to convert it back. They don't share hardly any of the same parts between the two systems. Personally, I would just go with the early '70's type setup. Some people would rather manually adjust them periodically, but, if properly installed, the self adjuster system is pretty maintenance free.

-
Back