Rear End help!

-

macman340

Reaction score
Need some help! I installed new upgraded axles, AXC8.75-28.0 in my 8 3/4 rear, seemed easy enough once I had the correct backing plates installed! Now here is where the problem is! With the car on jack stands the wheels turn together with no issue! Also moving the car straight no issue, but as soon as I turn the front wheels and try to move the car the rear gets what I will call a bind, is more difficult to move and then a snap sound and I'm able to push thru the bind, it only frees up for part of a rotation then it does it again! ???
It also does it on both sides depending on if I'm moving it left or right!

I bought the rear used so my 1st suspicion is that perhaps it has a spool or mini spool installed?

Any thoughts are welcome, thank you FABO

Did this occur before the new axles? Could be some type of locker. Spool will not free up for part of a turn. It’s always possible that someone welded the spider gears and the weld has come loose. Hate to say the only way to know for sure is pull the pumpkin and look.

Did this occur before the new axles? Could be some type of locker. Spool will not free up for part of a turn. It’s always possible that someone welded the spider gears and the weld has come loose. Hate to say the only way to know for sure is pull the pumpkin and look.

I never ran the old axles & I changed phones so the guy I purchased everything from I cant ask!!
I kinda knew that may need to be the next step to pull the pumpkin down, might as well change gears too while im at it! lol

Anyone else have an idea?? I jacked the car up & tried to duplicate the action , but nothing the rottion is smooth & straight, w/ no play when I attempt to move the wheel by hand!

Anyone else have an idea?? I jacked the car up & tried to duplicate the action , but nothing the rottion is smooth & straight, w/ no play when I attempt to move the wheel by hand!

Clutch type LS diffs need the additive to allow them to slip smoothly around corners.
Not sure on the cone type but it wouldn't surprise me.

Spools have ZERO give EVER, unless they spin one tire, strip splines or snap an axle:D

Clutch type LS diffs need the additive to allow them to slip smoothly around corners.
Not sure on the cone type but it wouldn't surprise me.

Spools have ZERO give EVER, unless they spin one tire, strip splines or snap an axle:D

What kind of additive am I looking for?/recommendation!

That would be great if thats allit needs! Thanks

Wouldn't hurt to try some limited slip additive before you yank it apart. Just go to your local auto parts store and ask for limited slip additive. It's a pretty small bottle. O'Reilley's, Autozone, NAPA, all have it around me. Costs about $5-6 a bottle. If that don't do it you've got a spool or a Lincoln locker (welded spider gears)

Wouldn't hurt to try some limited slip additive before you yank it apart. Just go to your local auto parts store and ask for limited slip additive. It's a pretty small bottle. O'Reilley's, Autozone, NAPA, all have it around me. Costs about $5-6 a bottle. If that don't do it you've got a spool or a Lincoln locker (welded spider gears)

Yep, thanks Tracy.
I was thinking he might have felt a tire slip when he said the bind goes away for a second and then comes back right away.:D
Who knows though, it could be a LS without the additive.

Yep, thanks Tracy.
I was thinking he might have felt a tire slip when he said the bind goes away for a second and then comes back right away.:D
Who knows though, it could be a LS without the additive.

I picked up the additive and put it in last night, hope to run the car on jack stands possibly tonight & see what happens! I will let you know if that is the CURE! Really thanks everyone FABO has been a Great help!

Are you pulling the chunk to check the situation? It seems like you should be doing a total inspection and fluid change with an unknown diff. Visual inspection is pretty standard ya?

Good luck!

I picked up the additive and put it in last night, hope to run the car on jack stands possibly tonight & see what happens! I will let you know if that is the CURE! Really thanks everyone FABO has been a Great help!

Jack stands won't tell you anything as you will have to drive it a little and turn a few corners to find out anything.
The thing about an 8.75 is that you have to pull the axles and driveline and then take the carrier out to visually verify what's in there.
But it would also be nice to know for sure.

-
Back