Rear end Swap

-

coalman

Reaction score
What do most people do for a rear end swap when going from a slant six to a 300 HP+ small block? Thank you!

8 3/4 if you can find one, would be the easiest/best

If all you plan on running is 300 hp, and no slicks an 8 1/4 might suffice

If you want to get creative you can read the Ford 8.8 swap sticky

For what it's worth, I've found that the 7 1/4 will last about 3 days behind a 408 ;)

I'm doing the same with my Sport. If you're not worried about keeping the car "pure" the common thing seems to be the Ford 8.8 from a 95-99 Explorer. For around ~$200 you can get a 31 spline axle with limited slip and disk brakes. It's a simple swap, you just shorten the longer side to match the short one and put new spring perches on. I'm actually keeping mine at the stock length so it'll be even easier. The alternative is of course the 8 3/4 but I haven't found an A body one for less than $800.

I'm doing the same with my Sport. If you're not worried about keeping the car "pure" the common thing seems to be the Ford 8.8 from a 95-99 Explorer. For around ~$200 you can get a 31 spline axle with limited slip and disk brakes. It's a simple swap, you just shorten the longer side to match the short one and put new spring perches on. I'm actually keeping mine at the stock length so it'll be even easier. The alternative is of course the 8 3/4 but I haven't found an A body one for less than $800.

You don't need an A body rear, a B body rear will fit great in your car. Move the perches to 43" on center and bolt it in.

Just my opinion on this, I believe a 8 1/4 rear end will last behind 300hp engine in these light A bodies myself, street and strip with street tire ...

You don't need an A body rear, a B body rear will fit great in your car. Move the perches to 43" on center and bolt it in.

Yeah I was going to include that idea as well since you mentioned it in the 8.8 thread and it does look good on the Sport. Wasn't sure how well that'd work outside the Duster/Demon/Sport A bodies though.

Yeah I was going to include that idea as well since you mentioned it in the 8.8 thread and it does look good on the Sport. Wasn't sure how well that'd work outside the Duster/Demon/Sport A bodies though.

I was speaking to you actually, but it can be done on the Darts and such as well.

Mopar Muscle did an article called "Back End Boogie", showing all of the steps to do it.

-
Back