Rear main seal install question.

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am about to install a Fel Pro Viton (orange) side strip seal on my 68 383. I am replacing due to my last seal leaking.. I have engine out of car on my engine stand and upside down. My question is where exactly due I put the black RTV sealant and do I install the seal retainer with the side strips installed in retainer as one, or push the strips in after the retainer is in place? And I also will be installing seal "offset" Any tips or info would be appreciated. .. thanks

Hey guys I am about to install a Fel Pro Viton (orange) side strip seal on my 68 383. I am replacing due to my last seal leaking.. I have engine out of car on my engine stand and upside down. My question is where exactly due I put the black RTV sealant and do I install the seal retainer with the side strips installed in retainer as one, or push the strips in after the retainer is in place? And I also will be installing seal "offset" Any tips or info would be appreciated. .. thanks

do it all at once. still a pain in the a$$ !

Is it recommend to use Black RTV sealant along with the viton side strips? Also I read somewhere to put a film of engine oil on block (where side strips mate) to help retainer to push in. Thanks

Is it recommend to use Black RTV sealant along with the viton side strips? Also I read somewhere to put a film of engine oil on block (where side strips mate) to help retainer to push in. Thanks
So i got the seal installed, just wondering if I should put any black RTV SEALANT between the block and retainer (where the orange side strips are) or just leave as is? Thanks

Screenshot_2016-04-25-17-34-23.png

Might as well, because it sure couldn't hurt anything and could very well nip an oil seep in the bud before it ever happens.

I'd coat both surfaces with just enough to make them slippery and put together.

I thought I posted but it must not have went through, get "the right stuff" sealer and use that around the cap, mine hasn't even thought about leaking

That picture is of my engine, so the seal and retainer is already assembled, So I was thinking of applying sealer as is.
Also is there a way to test rear main seal before installing engine? Would priming oil system with good electric drill prove anything? Thanks

Ok thanks,
anyone know if priming oil pump with engine on stand will produce oil leak if rear main seal is bad? Thanks

More than likely it won't. As the engine runs the oil gets thinner. Thinner oil tends to find a place to leak easier. Plus while you accelerate, the oil rushes to the rear towards the rear main. But if you do prime and it does leak, you definitely have a problem.

Ok thanks for the info. Maybe I can tilt engine up a little in front and put some thin oil just for the prime to help simulate real conditions. Thanks

-
Back