Rear main seal

-

Bud27

Reaction score
Just wondering which is the best brand and type of replacement seal ? Getting it replaced today and want to do the best I can rope or neophrenen
Thanks in advanced Bud

Two peice Neo or silicone with the ends offset from the cap joining surfaces and a BB sized dab of RTV where the seal ends come together.
The offset is so the seals ends and the maincap mating surfaces are not in exactly the same place.

Do NOT use RTV if the seal is the blue silicone type.

Like this.

Attachments

• offset.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 287
Perfect thanks Trailbeast

No problem Bud, glad to help.

The last one I did was about a year ago (454 in a 26 foot motorhome on a gravel drive.)
Imagine how much fun that was. :D
Ran it for 20 minutes after it was all back together and took off on a week trip with it.

haha thats worth the work ! Were trying to get this car solid so my 17 yo daughter can drive it up to Oregon from So Cal with her mom in the summer,
so she can layout in back when they go camping . Luckily it was the oil filter adapter gasket and not the rear main seal . We just ordered the complete interior from Dantes Mopar . Thanks again for your input sir .

I chased an oil leak for a awhile before finally putting my 66 Barracuda on jack stands and crawling underneath with the motor running. Saw the oil oozing out from that stinking oil filter adapter. Problem solved!! Much, much easier than the rear main!!!!!

Yeah no kidding the guy I bought it from said it was the rear main seal . My neighbor has a shop American motoring Memories . They put it on the lift and spotted it in two minutes . They rebuilt the carb , points set the timing and replaced seal along with oil change and filter for a smoking deal . He's known my daughter since she was two we would go look at the cars as they came in . Funny thing as I was driving up a super clean 67 pulled up it was show room condition driven by a young lady that inherited it from grandpa ! . Great guy restores corvettes and classic muscle cars.

I chased an oil leak for a awhile before finally putting my 66 Barracuda on jack stands and crawling underneath with the motor running. Saw the oil oozing out from that stinking oil filter adapter. Problem solved!! Much, much easier than the rear main!!!!!

yea- after replacing rear seal in 65 Signet- still leaked- turned out to be oil pressure sending unit on back on motor- EZ and cheap- check it out also-

Yeah no kidding the guy I bought it from said it was the rear main seal . My neighbor has a shop American motoring Memories . They put it on the lift and spotted it in two minutes . They rebuilt the carb , points set the timing and replaced seal along with oil change and filter for a smoking deal . He's known my daughter since she was two we would go look at the cars as they came in . Funny thing as I was driving up a super clean 67 pulled up it was show room condition driven by a young lady that inherited it from grandpa ! . Great guy restores corvettes and classic muscle cars.

NICE!!! Nothing like seeing a car like that driven by young lady.

My grandpa didn't leave me any classic cars so I'll have to keep mine to leave one of my grand kids!!!

-
Back