Rear Main Seal

-
Is it the same as Superformance?
Since I'm not pulling the crank, would I be able to get the block side out again without damaging it if I put it in to check it? Pretty sure my block got align honed. Gonna have to look at the machine shop paperwork. It's been 12 years...
Nervous about getting this right the first time. I'm getting tired of pulling engine and transmission. This is the 5th or 6th time in the last 3 years.

Thanks YR!

Last edited:
Since I'm not pulling the crank, would I be able to get the block side out again without damaging it if I put it in to check it? Pretty sure my block got align honed. Gonna have to look at the machine shop paperwork. It's been 12 years...
Nervous about getting this right the first time. I'm getting tired of pulling engine and transmission. This is the 5th or 6th time in the last 3 years.

Thanks YR!
I didn`t read all these posts, but I had a r. main leak on my 505 when it was first installed, I ended up making a pair of long studs to hold it straight when titening it down, and used extra black rtv silicone on the main sealing surface, it was not even w/ the block surface.
I tried the trick main seal cap and had no luck w/ it, ended up using the stock one.

So I'm bringing this up again. I have to do one on my 360 based 408. It leaks pretty bad.

Since nothing else is really available,
Brian from IMM recommended the Victor Reinz JV1610.

So I'll be changing it out this weekend I guess. I really hate to do something like this.

So I'm bringing this up again. I have to do one on my 360 based 408. It leaks pretty bad.

Since nothing else is really available,
Brian from IMM recommended the Victor Reinz JV1610.

So I'll be changing it out this weekend I guess. I really hate to do something like this.
Well I didn't do my rear main seal in the car but I have taken my oil pan off. That's the meladon 8 quart oil pan. Pain in the ***! But doable.
it's just you know when you have all the goop on everything and you're trying to ease it up there and not get it all over everything? JUST GIVE THAT IDEA UP!! Think up some new curse words in advance to help yourself out...

Well I didn't do my rear main seal in the car but I have taken my oil pan off. That's the meladon 8 quart oil pan. Pain in the ***! But doable.
it's just you know when you have all the goop on everything and you're trying to ease it up there and not get it all over everything? JUST GIVE THAT IDEA UP!! Think up some new curse words in advance to help yourself out...

lol. thanks. I'll be pullin the motor. I also have an old school 8 qt moroso drag race pan, that of course is no longer available. I cant even find a picture of it online.

here is my leak, just after I start the damn thing and let it sit for a few hours.

IMG-3885.jpg

and the new seal.

IMG-3886.jpg

IMG-3891.jpg

Thanks YR!

After all that, it wasn't the rear main on mine, it was the oil pan gasket!
When I raised the engine and trans to pull it, a steady stream of oil came out the back of the pan.
After contemplating it, I decided to trust my deceased friend Tim's (70dart360) work at getting the seal in right and leave it be unless I was positive it leaked.
I used plain old cork Victor Reinze gasket with just enough Ultra Gray to stick the cork to the pan to hold it, and a small dab on the corners where the cork and rubber met, nothing on the block side or end pieces. I used blue Permatex gel thread locker, and resisted the urge to crank the bolts down, just maybe a half turn past snug.

I used a pump for an inflatable raft to check for leaks. I actually had one in the corner of the intake and had to redo that.
I filled the oil and checked again before install.
When I first ran the engine, it leaked half a dozen drops. I went back over the rear most bolts on the pan just a touch. It hasn't leaked a drop since!
I also redid my transmission pan gasket, using a blue Moroso Perm-align gasket totally dry and the blue Permatex on the bolts, also just past snug.

For the first time ever since I have owned my car - NOTHING LEAKS!!

I know this thread is about changing the rear main, but hopefully my story helps someone out.
Good luck guys!

Last edited:
-
Back