Rear seat?

-

gm1236

Reaction score
I have a ‘75 duster the has been converted to a ‘73 interior, but the floor mounts for the back seat are in a different location and I can’t properly lock the seat in place. What are my options here?

Are you sure? Those seats are very hard to get in on the bottom. They wont catch on the latch on the floor?

Are you sure? Those seats are very hard to get in on the bottom. They wont catch on the latch on the floor?

I totally agree. With the carpet in it can be a bit of a wrestling match to get the seat into the catches on the floor. Also, the original catches require three motions- You slide them in, push the seat down, and then slide it back to lock it in place.

The other possibility is that you have a lower seat from a different A-body, so maybe it looks close but won’t go. Like for example, if you have a ‘73 seat bottom it may not have the corners clearances for the seat belt retractors that the later cars had. Pictures would help lots.

Is the 73 seat the same as the 75 seat? I think it’s from another duster, but I’m not sure. I’ll see if I can get a picture.

Is the 73 seat the same as the 75 seat? I think it’s from another duster, but I’m not sure.

It may not be. The later cars had the rear corners of the seat bottom clearanced for the retractable seat belts that were added. I know my ‘74 has them, but I don’t know exactly when that type of retractor started. It may have been ‘74, so a ‘73 seat might be different from a ‘75.

@Alaskan_TA posted this, this is a ‘70 seat bottom compared to a ‘74. I’m not exactly sure when the change occurred or if it included the entire ‘73 model year.

0DD07B61-4904-406A-9B58-3C05C7296BAE.jpeg

I can’t get them to even come close to the latch. Looks like the hooks on the seat are farther apart than the latch on the floor. The loops of the screws on the seat back don’t line up either.

• Here’s a few pictures of the seat. Looks like the corners have clearance for the seat belts.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Those cut outs are a different shape than the Duster seat shown above. Are you sure that seat is from a Duster?

Those cut outs are a different shape than the Duster seat shown above. Are you sure that seat is from a Duster?
I’m not sure what they’re from. The width seems right. Maybe a dart or scamp? Would those be different?

Yes, they’d be different. Some measurements would help, what’s the width and depth?

It may not be. The later cars had the rear corners of the seat bottom clearanced for the retractable seat belts that were added. I know my ‘74 has them, but I don’t know exactly when that type of retractor started. It may have been ‘74, so a ‘73 seat might be different from a ‘75.

@Alaskan_TA posted this, this is a ‘70 seat bottom compared to a ‘74. I’m not exactly sure when the change occurred or if it included the entire ‘73 model year. {ATTACH=full]1715492669[/ATTACH]

Hang on now.....

That photo was to show the difference between a regular seat frame & one for a Space Duster with the fold down rear seat.

Things can get whack when taken out of context.

Hang on now.....

That photo was to show the difference between a regular seat frame & one for a Space Duster with the fold down rear seat.

Things can get whack when taken out of context.

That doesn't change the context. Fold down and non-fold down seat bottoms are the same for the same year. I have both, and converted my non-fold down rear seat '74 to a fold down seat. The seat bottom from my donor car was identical to mine.

The difference in the corners was for the retractable seat belt housing, so it's an early vs late deal not a fold-down vs standard seat deal.

The seat measures 57” x 19” and the hooks are 29” center to center. The latches on the floor are 26” center to center.

-
Back